Featured Can anyone give me an approximate age on this pretty shell Cameo bracelet

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Nancy Neal, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Nancy Neal

Nancy Neal Well-Known Member

This is one of my newly found treasures, At one time I was really keen on cameos and bought quite a few, the majority was costume type, but there were a few treasures ,which are safely tucked a away in a safety deposit box, This one somehow got over looked as well as some rings pins and earrings, This marked !/20 14KGF so I know there is only a tiny amount of gold, Have no idea what 1/20 means I think it might be Italian, the shells are really pretty in person and has a nice pinking glow, I would appreciate if anyone can give me a time frame, and opinions on whether it may be Italia, As always thank you so much for your opinions and expertise cameob.jpg cameobraccu.jpg cameob5.jpg cameobracelet6.jpg cameob6.jpg cameob.jpg cameob.jpg cameob6.jpg cameobracelet6.jpg cameobraccu.jpg cameob5.jpg

kyratango, KSW and scoutshouse like this.
  2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Your pretty bracelet appears to be made from conch shell, this is indicated by the pink coloring. My guess as to age/origin: 1940s/50s-ish, Italian.
    Our resident expert @Bronwen will give you the the most reliable info/opinion, however, so wait for her. :)
    14KGF means it is 14K gold-filled, and the 1/20 means that 1/20th, or 5%, of the metal content is 14K.

kyratango, Figtree3, judy and 8 others like this.
  3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

kyratango, judy, KSW and 3 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Bluumz has told you exactly what I would have: conch shell cameos; post-WWII - early 1960s; gold filled in the proportions stated, which works out to about 3% actual gold. I will add only that the cameos were probably cut in Italy, sold in bulk to jewellery makers elsewhere. Best guess is that bracelet was assembled in America.

kyratango, Figtree3, judy and 4 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think the 1/20 14KGF mark is only used in North America. So the bracelet was probably made in the US, using Mediterranean cameos.

6. Bronwen

Which use Caribbean shells. :)

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

An intercontinental cooperation all the way, a bit like watching a tennis game.;)

8. Bronwen

At one time they crossed the Pond as ballast in cargo ships returning home.

Msalicia, kyratango and scoutshouse like this.
  9. Nancy Neal

Nancy Neal Well-Known Member

thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge.Really appreciate it.

Draft saved Draft deleted