Featured Can anyone help identify this knife? Please

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Megan Britton, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Megan Britton

Megan Britton New Member

it was found in a barn about 40 years ago up north. It’s a hollow brass handle carved to a dogs/dragons head, the blade has carvings in it, the case is wood with metal bandings and a hole carved into it for assumably a strap. Anyone know anything more about it? And can help me out? Looking to maybe price it for sale as well. the pictures were too large to upload so i tried to scale one down so that it would fit. i found one listing on ebay but the person didn't know anything about it or its origin or what is was made for, etc. any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice, Megan, I like it. Almost has a Viking feel to it, which is probably way off base.
    Where is up north? (To me that is the Dutch province of Groningen.;))

@komokwa, anything you've come across?
    [​IMG]

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Nothing Viking about it,a closeup of the "gold"inlay may help.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Flyssa knife, traditional weapon of the Kabyles people of Morocco and Algeria, circa 1900,

that's my first though.......better pics could confirm this.....& oh...the date may be a little off too....

( thanx for the vote of confidence AJ !! )

upload_2018-8-12_14-41-17.jpeg

kyratango, 2manybooks, Jivvy and 8 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

That is why I like it, I like their jewellery as well.:) They are a Berber people from northern Algeria.

6. Any Jewelry

Yep, as I said, way off base. I guess it was the Drakar type head, which is probably a Carthagian/Phoenician mythical beast.:rolleyes:
    Although the Vikings were in the area as well, along with just about everyone else from North Africa, Europe, and the Middle East.

7. Megan Britton

Megan Britton New Member

thank you all for the help! I managed to find out more about the dagger, it's indeed a flyssa! and it's in pretty good shape for it being as old as it is. It's dated circa 1800's. would anybody be able to help me inquire a price for it? I'm trying to price it for someone.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

You'll have to do research on web auctions that do knives , and web sites that deal in these type of ethnic blades.
    I don't know how you've dated it, but that should help you find similar blades for sale or sold.

Mugzinnys, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted