Can anyone help identify this platter or the art depicted?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Casaba, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Casaba

Casaba New Member

I found this old platter turned into a wall hanging today at a little shop and we cleaned it up a bit. I cant seem to find any marks on it and it appears to be hand made with metal hammered around a steel hoop.

I am hoping someone can help me identify the art depicted and maybe tell me something about this style of platter (I assume its a platter)

Thanks in advance

Joe

Attached Files:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

If it doesn't have much of an upright edge around it, I doubt it would have been used as anything other than the way you found it - wall hanging. Can you show the hanger on the back?

Scene is difficult to see, but it looks like some kind of military situation?

How did you clean this? It doesn't look like silver, even if there is some "silver color" to parts of it.

And before I forget - Welcome, Joe!

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The building in the background is very like the Doge's palace in Venice and appears to be under construction. The scene seems to be someone's triumphal entry. So I'd look for a Venice scene along those lines.

Ladybranch likes this.
  4. Casaba

Casaba New Member

To clean we just used mothers polish and a rag, it had years of tarnish or something on it.
    The scene seems to be Roman or Greek soldiers presenting a box to the feet of a seated long haired man, there is also a man in a flowered robe holding a scroll and it appears to be at a seaport with ships in the background. There are musicians behind the crowd.

Except for the steel hoop around the edge, it's not magnetic whatever it.

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Casaba

Casaba New Member

6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Yes - look like some kind of metal stamping purposely used as a "picture" for a wall decoration. Stamping probably left a sharp edge hence the metal "roping" around it.

7. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

The building in the background does look a little like the Doge's palace (built in 1370) in Venice.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doge's_Palace#/media/File:photograph_of_of_the_Doges_Palace_in_Venice.jpg

Venice was one of the biggest and most important seaport in the known world during their height - a maritime empire from about 1300 through to about 1500. I tried clearing up and zooming in on the focal point of the pic. I also see the bearded man with what looks like a treasure chest in front of him with a man bowed, prostate, over the chest. During the era of the Crusades it was an important in the Mediterranean commerce. These could be Crusaders returning with booty or could be the fleet returning from the Battle of Lepanto (1571) against the Turkish fleet.

--- Susan

image.jpeg

8. Ladybranch

Though this pic may be a Venice celebration of some kind, the bearded man doesn't look like a Venice doge because they seem to always be shown in a doge cap/hat, pointed cap.

"...the ceremonial crown and well-known symbol of the doge of Venice was called corno ducale, a unique kind of a ducal hat. It was a stiff horn-like bonnet, which was made of gemmed brocade or cloth-of-gold and worn over the camauro, a fine linen cap with a structured peak reminiscent of the Phrygian - a classical symbol of liberty."

--- Susan

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

This looks to me like a doge:
    zzzzaa.jpg

Here's the building:
    zzzzab.jpg

I'm not sure what's going on here, but I don't think it's a treasure chest. Maybe a book? A bible?
    zzzzac.jpg

I'm confident that whatever the event is, it's happening in Venice.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    Ladybranch likes this.
  10. Ladybranch

That sure is a possibility!

Me too, but here is something else in the pic that just might suggest Spain. Kneeling in front of the box, books or whatever might be a soldier wearing a conquistidor helmet. A helmet I associate with Ponce de Leon, Hernando DeSoto.

--- Susan

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted