Can anyone help me identify this old green (has been repainted) unmarked pitcher?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rastella, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Rastella

Rastella Everything is figureoutable.

Does anyone recognize who may have made this pitcher and age? It stands about 9 3/4" tall by about 3 7/8" wide at the top. Weighs nearly 4 lbs. As you can see, it's been repainted on the outside but fortunately it's not a good paint job and I think I can bring it back to its original paint condition. The green on the inside is the original color. It looks to me as though the design is hand etched which means the mold used would be just the shape of it, right? Then the artisans would create different designs from the same mold? I want to know if this is worth the effort of returning it to its original condition. Thanks for your feedback!

Pitcher 1.jpg

Pitcher 2.jpg

Pitcher 3.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Rastella

OH WAIT! I just realized that I don't see any mold lines. Is it turned? And then handle applied?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Avacado green and gold. Very 1970s. My guess is someone in the 1970s did the paint job to match their decor. Just a guess.

Maybe once you get the paint off, the design with original color will spark someones imagination. Wouldn't think it hard to take the paint off. Probably won't hurt the glaze underneath, as it is baked on.

Christmasjoy and Rastella like this.
  4. Rastella

Agreed! I think that's probably even the reason I was able to pick it up for cheap.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Rastella

Eye yi yi! I had to stop because I have no idea what I have here! Take a look at this! Green glazed at top and bottom only! Appears very primitive underneath and not sure what's original and what's not. What the heck?

Pitcher close up paint removing 1.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted