Featured Can anyone help me put a name to this wash stand?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jack Masters, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Jack Masters

Jack Masters New Member

I'm trying to sell this antique wash stand, but I don't know enough about it to accurately put a value on it. If anyone could give me a name, a manufacturer, or even a professional price estimate, that would be much appreciated. Wash_Stand.jpg

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I think I'd call it "Mr. Magoo".

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hi Jack and welcome! There are some people who are good with furniture on this board but perhaps you can provide a few clearer photos to help them out. Does it have a top?

I think around where I live you might find this called a huntboard or something along those lines rather than a wash stand.

Value is going to have a lot of variables. Where you're located for example and what ways you have to sell such as auction, online, flea market/car boot etc. The antique furniture market where I am is quite depressed these days.

antidiem and KingofThings like this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Beat me to it!
    I was going to offer 'Bob'. :)

kactus 100 likes this.
  5. KingofThings

Welcome!

6. KingofThings

More photos including construction details and any manufacturer's marks or labels even if partial.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  7. Jack Masters

Jack Masters New Member

Any additional pictures would not show anything different as there are no identifying marks of any kind on it. All I know is that an old couple bought it over seas (I live in the US), and that it is somewhat old.

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

What does the top look like?

KingofThings likes this.
  9. KingofThings

It's a secret. ;)

Ladybranch and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think you're right! LOL
    Looks like it doesn't have a top -
    upload_2016-11-5_18-33-38.png

KingofThings likes this.
  11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Looks like a server,not a washstand. If we could see pics of the inside,it would help. Id say its 1900s or so.

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  12. KingofThings

You can't have any more pics.

komokwa likes this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

If you push it down the hallway , do the castors lock up or does it glide freely?

KingofThings likes this.
  14. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Jack Masters, I'm just curious but . . . are there any holes (or screws still in holes) probably in/near the (top) middle of the back which could/would mean a mirror was once attached to the back?

Didn't "most?" wash stands have a framed mirror (which tilted) attached to the back? (My Grandma and Grandpa's wash stand did.) ;)

KingofThings likes this.
  15. komokwa

most is a pretty big term......we just saw one with handles on both sides that didn't..........so......?????........but I get what you're thinking..!

KingofThings likes this.
  16. komokwa

Dear Mr. Masters :
    You're trying to sell it
    You don't know enough..( or anything) about it
    You're asking for a " Pro" estimate
    AND
    You're in no mood to provide any other photo's......becuase they would not show anything different..?

We're lined up here to help you....we want to help you .....the basis of this site is to provide answers to your questions......
    But you are not helping us , to help you !

Think about it !;)

antidiem, Bakersgma and KingofThings like this.
  17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Probably English and agree that it is a server. Can't see details enough to tell age. Also agree that this looks like it is missing a top. A lot of this kind of thing had marble tops and tile backsplashes......

upload_2016-11-6_9-12-15.png

18. KingofThings

Figures as I had a nice one and shocked at what it didn't sell for. :p

19. Jack Masters

Jack Masters New Member

Sorry folks, been away for a bit. I think it may have used to have a black marble top to it, but I'm not incredibly certain that it was the original top. It is very likely that it is British, seeing as how I do remember hearing that it is foreign. And I can certainly take more pictures, but seeing as how there are no more identifying marks, I didn't see the point. But if any of you think it would help, just let me know what angle you need to see it from and I'd be happy to oblige. I also appreciate all of the help given thus far, thank you all. :)

20. KingofThings

Not if they're castor oiled.......
    ;)

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted