Featured Can anyone help me with this very old Sampler, and it age?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by hemster922, Sep 12, 2017.

1. hemster922

hemster922 Well-Known Member

I finally identified this as a Sampler. But I've seen are dated and this one is not.
    Any help is much appreciated!

Attached Files:

Ghopper1924, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I take this is not a family item? Where did you get it?

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

From what he/she said elsewhere, from an estate clean-out. It's more primitive than some, but the colors are still there.

4. hemster922

This was found in the contents of an estate I've acquired. So many precious things

5. Bakersgma

But what country? If the US - what state?

6. hemster922

Here's pic of the back. And the home it was found is in NJ

Attached Files:

7. Bakersgma

Not saying yours is guaranteed to be as old, but I have my 2X great grandmother's sampler, finished in 1857 when she was 9. I can't vouch for how previous family members cared for it, but my mom always had it hung on a wall where the sun would not hit it (and I currently have it in an alcove off my bedroom with no windows facing the sun. Most of the colors are still good.

The fabric of yours is more closely woven than mine, which could mean that it is somewhat less old.

Obviously the fact that it was not finished would affect it's appeal to buyers, but it's interesting that it has 2 names and not just the usual 1. That card board back is a menace.

Can we get straight on views of the upper lines to see how well the stitching has held up?

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Seconded - get that cardboard the heck OFF of there. It needs reframing in archival materials soonest, even if you're not keeping it.

9. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

When you post pictures click on the Full Image tab instead of Thumbnails - easier to see that way. (I feel like KoT now - :))

10. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I see Mary E. Booth for the top name and Sarah A Booth for the bottom name.

11. hemster922

P8130064 (480x640).jpg

Yes, Mary E. & Sarah A. Booth. Sisters perhaps? I've been reading a lot of geneology material, trying to find a link to these names...I think my head is going to explode

James Conrad likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

13. Danno

Danno Well-Known Member

Pretty standard but a very nice early new england sampler! :D And as stated, acid free backing.

hemster922 and James Conrad like this.
  14. Bakersgma

But doesn't the sampler say Mary E and Sarah A? as opposed to Mary A and Sarah E?

Christmasjoy and James Conrad like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You're right. Apologies for mis-direction.

Debora

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  16. Bakersgma

I went looking on Ancestry yesterday and did find a Mary E and Sarah A Booth, daughters of Joel and America Booth, born in Virginia in 1878 and 1883, respectively. There was also a set of Booth sisters born in England, although I discounted them, since this sampler is very much in the American style and was found in New Jersey.

Without a date on the sampler, we are really dependent on the materials as an indicator of age. And not having studied such things, I have no way of knowing whether those girls are the right ones or not. And prior to the 1880 Census, there is no way to easily search for siblings, since the forms did not ask for relationships within a household.

Unless Hemster can uncover additional family history on this estate, I'm not optimistic on connecting this sampler to a larger specific family.

Ghopper1924, James Conrad and Danno like this.
  17. Danno

Danno Well-Known Member

Not quite as early.....
    Nice research, bakers and reasonable conclusions.

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  18. hemster922

So what do you think Danno? Should I put her up for auction? I need to make decisions. [overwhelmed] I could open a store from my home with the quantity of items that came from that estate.

19. hemster922

Oh. What does acid free backing mean?

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Paper mats, foam core...& other backing materials were & are made with a certain amount of acidic chemicals.
    The acid leeches out on to anything it's exposed to over a period of time.
    Today...many such items are made with an acid free formula that protects the fabric...or paper ...you wish to preserve.

hemster922 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted