Featured Can anyone help me

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Elaine Marie, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Elaine Marie

Elaine Marie New Member

To ID this rocking chair? It appears to be from the late 1800s, heavy, maybe oak and I just want to make it pretty again. Thank you so much in advance!
    131682469_2836301383281774_3976192488312154248_n.jpg 131551370_753286002062908_7410217771918518938_n.jpg

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Making it pretty again is something I know about. I'm sorry I can't help with the date. I would suggest getting a matching color of Howard's Restor A Finish and apply it to the wood. (Since there are a lot of turnings, I wouldn't try sanding it.) Then use Howard's Wax and Feed. I would also suggest that you take detailed pictures as you are removing the old fabric, etc. These will be very helpful when you are putting it back together.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What wonderful advice above! I would just add... And do choose your fabric and trim with care.

Debora

4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

5. Ally330

Ally330 Weekend thrifter

Kinda looks like my aunts old 1970s Tudor revival furniture. Lol. I have no idea but it looks heavy!!

Elaine Marie likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

My guess is arts and crafts period - 1st quarter 20th C. I had a lamp to go with it:
    upload_2020-12-20_6-16-28.png

7. Elaine Marie

Elaine Marie New Member

There are a couple of things I know little or nothing about and that's springs and their replacement (can I do it or have a mess LOL!) and attaching trim without the tacks showing. I think I just have to get it right in front of me for a staring contest, to understand its actual construction.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not oak. More likely mahogany or a nondescript wood stained to mimic mahogany. Late Victorian take on a bobbin chair. Not really arts and crafts, though from about the same time frame. Late 19th to early 20th century.

9. Elaine Marie

Elaine Marie New Member

How does brocade sound? I have a soft green base with all the scrolling on top in soft yellow shading to gold. I am trying not to say avocado green and harvest gold, but it sure does remind me of it! LOL! I have about 3 other choices but tell ya what.....this one NEEDS this rocker!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  10. Elaine Marie

Elaine Marie New Member

LOL! Oh dear! Is there a name that applies to the design?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A warm green to gold would be very attractive against the wood.

Debora

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

This is how I learned to work on old cars. In the late 1970's, I bought a '59 sloped back Volvo, which wasn't running. I stared at the engine for about an hour and then I realized that the coil had 12 volts written on the tag. It was a 6 volt car! I replaced it and it ran like a charm. The context of this is that when I was in college, I took some aptitude tests and I scored almost a "0" on mechanical. This is why I suggested you take pictures as you are taking it apart. Since I had no talent, I had to rely heavily on photos and manuals until I learned. I eventually almost fully restored a '62 Volvo. So take heart, put your mind to it and you can master this.

Elaine Marie, Any Jewelry and bluumz like this.
  13. Elaine Marie

Elaine Marie New Member

Believe me, I will take pictures, have a staring contest and think on it before I start. I've upholstered before and actually find it fun and tedious. The bad thing about this rocker is that while the springs are IN there, the cording has long broken, BUT they are all piled in there! LOL! I'm thinking about using spring straps, but that will be part of my staring/measuring/thinking time.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

Show us when you finish it!

Ally330 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted