Featured Can anyone help with a price estimate on this old swivel chair?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by JTfromIdaho, Jul 22, 2021.

1. JTfromIdaho

JTfromIdaho New Member

imagejpeg_0.jpg IMG_0713.jpg IMG_0714.jpg My uncle has asked me for help getting rid of an old chair he had and I just wanted to double check that it isn't valuable. It's made by B.L. Marble Chair Company who apparently haven't made chairs in their name since 1965 and are long gone. Attached 3 pics. Don't know more than that other than he told me it's solid wood and very heavy. Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2021
  2. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

I'd assume the connection with General Petroleum Corporation would be of interest to certain people who like oil company memorabilia.

3. LauraGarnet02

judy, Boland, Ghopper1924 and 4 others like this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Oak I believe.

In your first picture - is that a metal strip on the leg, as a repair for a split in the wood?

5. LauraGarnet02

Oh! Did you check underneath the seat for any other labels?

I'll tag the furniture guys
    @verybrad @Ghopper1924

judy, Ghopper1924 and JTfromIdaho like this.
  6. JTfromIdaho

JTfromIdaho New Member

img.JPG
    Will have to ask my uncle tomorrow but I'm not seeing anything in the pic and he didn't mention anything about it.

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  7. JTfromIdaho

JTfromIdaho New Member

These were the only 2 pics he sent when I asked if he saw a company name anywhere so I'm assuming these are the only 2. Will ask tomorrow to be sure.

judy, LauraGarnet02 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Early 20th century oak office furniture. Solid and long-lasting, as we see. Despite any interest generated by the metal tag, in my part of the U.S. Midwest $115 would be an optimistic price at auction; I would expect about half of that.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

According to the internet, the company was founded in 1910 in San Francisco (hence the S.F. on the tag) and moved to Los Angeles in 1914. The executive and legal departments remained in the City.

Debora

10. Doot Boi

Doot Boi Well-Known Member

Where do you see a metal strip? All I see is a grayish reflection from a window on the leg?

James Conrad, judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  11. wiscbirddog

This looks like a metal strip to me:

metal.jpg

12. LauraGarnet02

Are you talking about the B.L.
    Marble Chair Company or the General Petroleum Corporation?

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The General Petroleum Corporation.

Debora

14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This is a $30-40.00 chair in my neck of the woods. Doubt the petroleum Co. tag would add value here. There are several companies with this name. This may be from the CA company?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  15. Doot Boi

Doot Boi Well-Known Member

Ah no, that's not a metal strip. Good thing, cuz you had me a little scared! It appears to be, as I said, a grey reflection from a dreary day :)).

16. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I see them called library chairs or bankers chairs in listings sometimes. Nice chair, I’d agree with others $30-$100 but probably on the lower side. For someone with a nice old oak desk and/or oak file cabinets/barristers bookcases it would be desirable. Wouldn’t fit for most people but there’s definitely people that still like them. I would probably start it on the higher end and see if someone bites and then lower it if not.

17. wiscbirddog

New member JTfromidaho started this thread, then
    . . .are YOU JT?

komokwa likes this.
  18. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Good example of how the camera LIES! when taking photos of furniture. I thought some type of metal strip repair as well.

wiscbirddog likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted