Can anyone help with carved Asian Figure

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Crim000, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Crim000

Crim000 Active Member

Looking for help with information such as age subject..... I do believe it had a base at some point and is made of soapstone 63DC7659-3ADD-42CF-B4A6-1CE34F6F03B7.jpeg 984F87F7-2A43-4338-B53B-EFD7E8DD5C29.jpeg 39A3B139-5510-4C81-B9B0-5C84F7B63ACD.jpeg FDD7E4C1-665B-4BA6-8377-C59598D4C0AA.jpeg AAA52F3D-B37D-4F76-8BB3-32FAC2DF7A52.jpeg ADD419BA-A65E-4CE7-AC45-2BACAD772C69.jpeg

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Kwan Yin, I think. Looks like molded resin, not carved anything.

Christmasjoy, aaroncab and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Bronwen

4. Crim000

Crim000 Active Member

@Bronwen i can assure you it is not resin of any sort
    I have sailed that ship about a thousand times lol

5. Bronwen

OK, you have it in hand & stone & resin feel very different. I was just judging from yellowed photos. Still think it is Kwan Yin, but don't understand the symbolism.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Crim000

Crim000 Active Member

@Bronwen i have never seen vase upside down either

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I hope it’s a keeper, you can’t burn stone.

8. Crim000

Crim000 Active Member

@i need help lol oh I can get it to burn lmao come on someone say it it was made 2020 lol

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I agree with you.

Wait for @Any Jewelry to comment on upside down vase.

10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think she is older than yesterday.

11. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

This one does look like stone, agree with everything else already mentioned.

Also: from this site _ https://www.indigenouspeople.net/Spirituality/Mysticenter/

. Often Quan Yin is shown pouring a stream of healing water, the "Water of Life," from a small vase. With this water devotees and all living things are blessed with physical and spiritual peace

12. Bronwen

Think we don't need to wait for AJ. That would be it. I could only find the statuette with her holding the vase upright. Good work. :)

13. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Soapstone I think too! @Crim000 a little scratch test with light pressure of a needle on the bottom may say;)

Bronwen, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, the upside down vase means Guanyin is pouring out the water of life, as a blessing, over the world.
    It is soapstone, I would guess 1920s-30s. Here you can see stone fractures along the base:

upload_2020-6-7_12-51-20.jpeg

15. John steward

John steward Member

Hello, it is soapstone the date of early 20th century i have here poring the water. It would have had abase that look like waves of water.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted