Featured Can anyone help with info on this item?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Adamitri, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Adamitri

Adamitri New Member

Here i have an enamel thing.

My Mum recently gave this to me to see what i could find out about it. It has been in the family at least since the 1940's and possibly long before. She seems to believe it has no real value but wanted me to check just in case.

I have no idea what this is and have no experience with antiques so i thought this may be the best place to ask to see if anyone knows what this is and how old it may be.

There are no markings on the bottom, and it looks hand painted to me, its quite elaborate too.

Pictures are below.

IMG_1078.JPG IMG_1080.JPG IMG_1081.JPG IMG_1079.JPG

Would really love some advice or help on this.

Kind regards,

Adam.

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hello Adam, welcome.
    It is beautiful. A Persian minakari enamelled 'beggar's bowl' or 'Fakir's bowl', made in Isfahan, Iran/Persia. It may have been new when it first came into your family. My guess is 1930s-40s, and as you thought, it is entirely hand made.
    Bowls of this shape were originally used by travelling religious men to beg for food. No beggar or Fakir ever used this one, it is just the name of a shape that became popular in Persia and Persian influenced countries.
    Here is some info on minakari enamel:
    http://rizolux.com/blog/2016/03/21/minakari-on-metalware-everything-about-persian-enameling/
    http://irandoostan.com/minakari-or-enameling-the-glorious-iranian-handicraft/

This is the Naqsh-e Jahan Square in Isfahan, depicted in your central medallions. If you google Isfahan you will get many different views of this giant complex:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  3. Adamitri

Adamitri New Member

Wow such a quick response and amazing information. Thank you so much. i really appreciate the information.

komokwa, Ghopper1924, Sandra and 2 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Pleasure, I hope you will enjoy it's beauty even more now.

komokwa, Ghopper1924 and Joshua Brown like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Isn't that why you came here ? :playful::playful::playful:

Now.....tell Mom to give you more stuff !!! :happy::happy:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. KentWhirled

KentWhirled Well-Known Member

Just for accuracy, enamel on metal base, yes?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Yep. Brass or copper from the look of it. Silver if you're lucky.

Any Jewelry and KentWhirled like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Copper in this case.

Draft saved Draft deleted