Featured Can anyone ID the country of origin for this “Camel Taxi” ??

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Miscstuff, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Picked this photo up among a bunch of early magic lantern slides. Thought it might be some tourists on tour but it seems to be a little ornate for that and the two ladies seem to have some native adornments on their foreheads. Think it might date between 1900-1920 but not sure. Any ideas as to what country it was taken in??

Cheers

Stephen

a4.jpg
    a1.jpg
    a2.jpg
    a3.jpg

2. Miscstuff

OK! I'm having a confusing day today. If I turn the photo around and read the @%#%$^ text it says "Marriage Ceremony - Cairo".

mumble mumble

a5.jpg

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious:

My very wild guess is that it is part of an Egyptian wedding party (bride and chaperone?) on it's way to the ceremony/future in-laws house.:D:cool:

No problem Stephen, sometimes the obvious isn't obvious enough. I love the slide, so thank you for sharing it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

What an interesting image. Thank you, @Miscstuff

5. Miscstuff

Has anyone noticed the leftmost camel seems to be missing it's head???:D

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lost it's head gazing at the beauty of the bride inside the utfa (camel litter).:D
    Don't know if this contraption would also be called an utfa.:confused:

7. Miscstuff

Funny how you can look at something over and over again and miss the bleeding obvious. Did I say "two ladies"? OK One rather heavy lady and a camel wearing makeup.
    Cheeky thing.:cool:

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OK, I've only been 'seasick' once in my life that I remember, as a kid, but I think a ride in THAT contraption COULD cause number 2!!!!!!!!!!!!:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::bag::bag::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
    Interesting image though!!!!!

9. In For the old guy

In For the old guy Active Member

That camel does not seem to be missing its head. IT IS MISSING ITS HEAD. And one leg. Where the he!! are they?

Ghopper1924 and KingofThings like this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

What a way to travel ! I bet it was uncomfortable as hell,but oh so very cool looking.

11. Figtree3

Early days of photo editing?

That is really strange... I had not noticed before!

Actually, when I look at it, I think it's an optical illusion. You can follow the line of the bottom of the camel's neck and see that then it is obscured by objects in the back of the cart. So I think it's back there somewhere.

12. In For the old guy

You are very likely correct, Fig. But follow the verizon from right to left.
    Note the "window shutters" that are opened.
    Then check the "vegetation, (or debris)" on the ground.

All certainly appear to be continuous.

Where are the horse's head and left rear leg?

I've ridden a camel once. I'll take a horse any day.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  13. Figtree3

I might also go back to my original thought that the photo was edited. In a way, I can see the outline of part of a camel's head and neck but it almost looks like it's been partially erased.

14. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

Seasick was the first thing I thought too.....:wideyed::yuck::vomit::dead:

15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The strangest thing I ever rode was an ostrich. I was small but it was thrilling at first and then the guys could not trap or correll the dang thing. It was at the county fair, I guess I was 9 or 10. Ended up on the dang beast for about an hour. I was going to jump off but then I remembered they can kick you to death.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    greg

16. In For the old guy

I give up. Resized the first pic to at least ten times original. The wording on the first picture is reversed. The picture had to be reworked many times. The rear camel was reduced to less then half the length of the front one. And etc., etc., etc., etc.

The third picture has the print in proper direction, but note that the rear camel still has only three legs.

Camels are not my favorite animals. They bounce when under you and spit when you're facing them on level ground.

But I wouldn't want to try an ostrich. :yuck:

17. Miscstuff

I'm beginning to suspect this is either a rich religious tourists slide show to show off to their friends when they got back or a commercial fictionalised account of a religious tour. The tour was following the travels of “Big J” and family when he was a snot nosed kid and may be related to the Coptic religion which considers the journey to be important. The text which has been clearly screwed up being backwards and non transparent was at some stage printed with a custom letter “M” in “Marriage” which I thought might suggest more commercial origins than private ones. However the cut of the photo is probably too rough to be commercial and the use of the phrase “WE have remained” swings me towards private show off slides. As for the camels I think it's an adult and a juvenile because the brides father was too cheap to pay for extra fuel.:D

Cheers

Stephen
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

18. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

It's in the shop for a spit change.
    :)

Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH