Featured Can anyone ID the maker/period of this unusual hand-pinted Japan ceramic piece?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Curioser, Sep 29, 2023.

1. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

I've realized why I am not clearing out old stock fast--I can't identify much of it! This piece is hand-painted,no transfers, with some features raised in the mold. It measures 4 1/2" wide and 3" high. Different designs front and back. The bottom has an impressed mark and a red mark--not sure how to orient them so I took 2 photos.

Can anyone ID a style, maker or age? Many thanks! Japan_Diamond_shape_Bowl_1.JPG Japan_Diamond_shape_Bowl_2.JPG Japan_Diamond_shape_Bowl_3.JPG Japan_Diamond_shape_Bowl_4.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Dunno. But that's very sweet.

Debora

3. Curioser

Thanks! Maybe some of our Asian experts will have some ideas.

4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Complete guess but it looks very much like some things my sister and I had decorating our shared bedroom in the 1960s.

5. Curioser

Thanks, that may help narrow down the date, assuming they weren't very old when you girls got them.

6. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I have tried Google lens on the item and the marks on the back to no avail. I have hand drawn the mark on the back and tried Google lens on it and it translates one of the symbols to 'spring'. Sorry can't offer any more.

IMG_20231001_105609_copy_1102x1470.jpg Screenshot_2023-10-01-10-56-32-92_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

7. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I think the script is meant to be 山田 (Yamada) and the impressed mark (you've drawn it upside down) is 春花 (spring flowers - presumably the pattern name). As @bluumz said, it's 1960's or so.

bluumz, kentworld, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  8. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Okay thanks for the info. I thought it looked upside down but Google only recognised it that way up. Very strange :bucktooth:

9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Yes, the Google images is good for typed or clear standard character forms, but it often goes wildly astray for script or anything slightly different. It did pretty well picking spring out of this though.

kentworld, Figtree3 and Chinoiserie like this.
  10. Curioser

Thank you @Ce BCA and @Chinoiserie ! I guess it's not a valuable piece so I will stop researching. You've been very helpful!

Potteryplease likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted