Can Anyone Identify These Bronzes?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Chixter, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Chixter

Chixter New Member

This pair of bronze statues came out of a mansion in NY State. They measure 26" high. There is what seems to be a golf ball on the ground at their feet albeit not in proportion. There are no identifying marks, stamps or writing. I've scoured internet images. I'm at a loss here.

Attached Files:

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Wow, Chixter, the 26" size of these is impressive and they look like golfers to me too. I have never seen them before either. I have to think you've looked under the bases, but is there any pattern to the underside of the bases? Perhaps a closer look at the bases would reveal something? ;) +Welcome to the forum! :cat:

i need help likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Strange hats.

i need help likes this.
  5. Chixter

Chixter New Member

I have been over and under these figures with bright light and magnification. Nothing. The bases themselves are hollow, no distinguishing pattern. I thought I was looking at a small 'co' on the top of the base of the female figure but it is not clear at all. The golf ball at the feet is way out of proportion also, buch bigger than a scale golf ball. But they do look like golf clothes....

i need help likes this.
  6. antidiem

When you figure out this mystery, I hope you will return and let us know. I just don't have a clue. HOLLOW bases doesn't really make sense to me - to hold a 26" statue erect! ;) And the out of scale 'golf ball' makes no sense either, unless it was being "glorified" with artistic license. LOL - do the balls have the texture of golf balls, I cannot see any of this detail on the bases.

i need help and Chixter like this.
  7. Chixter

Chixter New Member

Hopefully I won't have to return, maybe some one here has expertise in bronzes

antidiem likes this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Austin Productions made similar ones. Maybe yours is where it’s copied from.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-1-20_13-15-30.jpeg upload_2020-1-20_13-15-47.jpeg

1920's golf clothes.......
    if they're not posing with clubs...then the ball...says it all !!!:happy:
    upload_2020-1-20_13-32-4.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-20_13-33-30.jpeg

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think they're contemporary. Clothes aren't quite right. Nor are faces. If I had to guess, I'd say 1970s.

Debora

Firemandk, Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  11. i need help

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think Austin Productions a very likely possibility. Those above 1980s from clothing. Is it possible that clubs for yours were separate pieces that have gone walkabout?

Debora

kyratango and i need help like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

1970's.....??

upload_2020-1-20_13-45-45.jpeg

you mean the polyester era???

I think not....:hungover:

upload_2020-1-20_13-53-51.jpeg

i need help likes this.
  14. i need help

I think Austin Productions went by another name at some point. I think there’s a thread here somewhere...

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes. As strange as it may seem to some, that's exactly what I mean. Those figures appear to be wearing a 1970s interpretation of 1920s clothing.

Debora

16. i need help

17. Chixter

Chixter New Member

Were bronze pieces made that had separate clubs? Ive seen quite a bit of this type of art and small artifacts like spears, or horse crops were always attached. One of the first things I did was to examine for attachment points where a club may have been broken off. It does not appear to be the case.

18. Chixter

Chixter New Member

All of the Austin golf pieces I imaged searched came in at 12-16" in height. I have not seen any this large. The bottoms of these pieces is just dished out.

i need help likes this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Or slipped into a small hole in hand? I see nothing similar on internet that doesn't have club. Very similar to Austin but if not marked same, likely a look-alike company's effort.

Debora

kyratango and i need help like this.
  20. antidiem

yes and I don't know what the term "dished out" means?