Can anyone identify these chairs?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by andi67, Sep 2, 2019.

1. andi67

andi67 New Member

Would like to identify these chairs and know if they have any value? They belonged to my great grandmother. I couldn't find any markings on any of them. I'm assuming they're reproductions.

IMG_7771.JPG

IMG_7762.JPG

IMG_7768.jpg

Ghopper1924 and Michael77 like this.
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Yes, but pretty. :)

3. andi67

andi67 New Member

any idea of the value?

4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Look on ebay for similar sold items. Prices vary wildly at different spots on the map.

5. Sepia

Sepia Member

French style salon chairs. Could be repro but not having marks does not necessarily mean that. Look like they may have been reupholstered in the overstuffed style which is correct for the type of chair. Have a look underneath, should be horsehair and metal springs. If webbing then definitely modern reupholstery. Originals would be 17th/18 century. white one looks overpainted. Without any sort of provenance, difficult to say but most likely repro

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  6. andi67

andi67 New Member

The smaller two have been reupholstered. I assume the larger one has too. I have someone clearing out my mother's apartment next week and I'm reluctant to include the chairs if they're worth anything especially the large mahogany one which belonged to my great grandmother. Do you know what style the large chair is and what I could possibly ask for it? I didn't see any marks on it.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. Sepia

Sepia Member

It's a Bergere chair (pronounced bear jare) I think the mahogany is original. Re value, check on ebay/etsy see what people are asking and ask a bit less. Asking is not the same as getting and I stand by the saying that a thing is worth what someone will pay for it. As I'm in UK probably not a lot of help but to get best price, don't rush to sell.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree completely. I don't see a lot of value here. Here in my Midwest semi-rural location, we would be less than $100.00 each on these. We routinely price such chairs in good condition at a bit over $100.00 but they almost always sell at a discount under $100.00. Just sold what I consider to be a nicer chair from David Zork studios for $60.00 after sitting in the shop for several months. You might do better in large cities. They would be a lot less at auction or other wholesale type selling situations.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted