Featured Can anyone identify these English(?) hallmarks on gold ring please?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by GiveMeOldJewelry, Apr 22, 2020.

1. I've googled around & looked at various online sites, but British hallmarks are so confusing for me (if indeed that's what they are).:angelic: Ring is 14K. They are a lion rampant, the number 15 & what appears to be a crown. Any help with date, maker etc would be much appreciated. P.S. Sorry, it looks like I accidentally uploaded the same two pics repeatedly & don't know how to get rid of them. P1010047 (73).JPG P1010019 (119).JPG

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    Figtree3, aaroncab, Xristina and 4 others like this.
  2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

You have a very pretty ring. There are experts around here that will most likely be able to tell you what you have. Welcome, in the meantime.

Bronwen, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If that says 15, then it's 15 carat not 14. You do get hallmarks without date letters sometimes, this will be before 1904 when the law changed and after 1890 as there's not duty head. Which fits with the style.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The edit button may or may not still be showing. (It disappears after awhile). If it is still there, click Edit, More Options, there will be a Delete next to the pictures you want to get rid of. Save Changes.

Welcome to the board.
    Nice ring.

5. Thanks everyone. The lack of date letters is what made me question whether or not the hallmarks were English. Never occurred to me that the 15 meant 15ct. I'm so accustomed to seeing a K or CT after a number.

Xristina, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Nice Ring ... WELCOME !!! .. Joy. :)

judy and Bronwen like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome @GiveMeOldJewelry .
    Love the ring, and I am with Ownedby bear, the style, fineness, and marking indicate 1890s UK.
    You can give the coral a bit of tlc by putting a tiny drop of olive oil on the tip of your finger, rub it almost dry, and then rub it on the coral. Make sure there is no oil residue, and you will have happy coral.:)

J Dagger, Bronwen, Xristina and 5 others like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Mineral oil works as well with no tackiness or smell.

9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Beautiful ring!!!

Bronwen likes this.
  10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Just as an added bit of information, the British 12 and 15 carat standard was replaced with 14 carat in 1932...

~Cheryl

11. RJR

RJR Member

I thought that the lion meant sterling silver? 15Kt?

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

No, the lion means English assay, be it silver or gold. Crown in this context means gold. In 1904, the law changed so that 15 carat had to have the percentage as well.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I use rice bran oil, which works the same, it is nice and fluid and leaves no smell or tackiness. That is my oil of choice for many things, but the general advice is olive oil, also for amber. Not that we have to follow that to the letter.:playful:

clutteredcloset49 and Bronwen like this.
  14. RJR

RJR Member

So a lion on a gold looking case can actually be gold? Another day, another lesson, thanks to good people like you. Thank you.

Bronwen and anundverkaufen like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Most welcome.

Bronwen likes this.
  16. MaJa

MaJa Active Member

I always thought the lion passant is for sterling, the crown is for gold.
    Also I think that the 1904 law was only applicable to imported goods ("Hall-marking of Foreign Plate Act").

Could you maybe provide me with a source/literature regarding the general use of the lion passant? I always like to fill my knowledge gaps regarding hallmarking

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Sure. I use Jackson's Silver and Gold marks as well as Bradbury's. The 1904 thing was an Order in Council about gold percentages. You do find crown on its own for gold, but also with lion. Don't ask me why - although our hallmarks are relatively stringent, you get oddities. Like missing date letters and town marks.

Bronwen likes this.
  18. Rabid Collector

Rabid Collector Well-Known Member

As I understand it, Lion Passant is an English Assay and Lion Rampant (up on hind legs) is a Scottish Assay. This looks like a Lion Passant so I would agree that it’s English.

19. Ownedbybear

Lion rampant is specifically Glasgow. Thistle was Scottish silver. Scottish hallmarks can be a bit messy.

Rabid Collector likes this.
  20. Redwood

Redwood New Member

Hello

I have a similar ring / question and am feeling unsure if the hallmarks on this ring are authentic, the lion passant, lack of makers mark and date stamp as well as it being only 10k confused me. Are you able to offer any insight? Thank you for your help : )

Draft saved Draft deleted