Can anyone Identify this marking?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Justin Williamson, Mar 22, 2020.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

2. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

You really should post photos of the entire item, from several angels, as some people can identify items by the design of the item.

The mark is Ancient Chinese Seal Script.

Try this link to a document which will list a great many characters in seal script side by side with their modern day counterpart.
    Seal Script

Justin Williamson likes this.
  3. Hi, I just got it at an estate sale, it is a ginger jar, about 12" high ginger jar 10.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  4. sorry for the bad quality photo

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Can you show the underside of the cover? Maybe it’s a humidor?

Justin Williamson likes this.
  6. chinese ginger 1.jpg

i need help likes this.
  7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The first mark says Tongzhi Nian Zhi, but it looks like a decorator item from the 1970s, give or take.

8. thank you

9. lid.jpg

judy likes this.
  10. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

11. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

These exact photos are on Facebook chinese ceramics group, from a different person, with a different story on how they bought it...what's going on here?

12. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

13. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

I have always thought the members on this site were upstanding and were loaded with integrity. This member, Justin Williamson was rude to a well know member and acted like the well known member was the problem. He does owe that member an apology. The members are here to help. If you don't like what they have to say, move on. You don't have to chastise them. Mr Williamson, you will not get a lot of help if you are not honest and respect the other people on this site.

14. I'm in the process of purchasing this, what is the big deal of asking a question? Before purchasing something?

15. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I don't see that; it must have been removed. And why should anyone care if it's posted on another site? The question about the marks is the same.

16. And I was not rude. Someone answered a question I had asked and I was listening to different opinions and that person got upset that I commented saying thank you to a different posting. Like I wasn't listening to his or her opinion. I didn't know once one person tells you something that it is not ok to listen to others. I myself don't always listen to what one person says but would like to get a few suggestions and opinions. Thanks

17. I did not come here to be made fun of or talked down too. I came here to get information and share information if I have it. I am no expert by any means.

18. I dont have to explain anything. I was in the process of purchasing this item and asking questions. Explain myself is not going to happen....

Draft saved Draft deleted