Can anyone identify this vintage chair?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Sedona, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. My 19 year old son got my antique gene! He went to a local thrift shop and this chair caught his eye. I told him to pass unless he’s in love with it, because there are a lot of chairs out there, but I also wanted to see if it’s worth getting. I’ve seen only these photos and I asked him to take pictures of the back and underside. The “O” on the crest rail, he says, appears to be carved. As it’s a donation there’s no other information other than vintage chair with cross-stitch seat.

2. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

I had difficulty uploading the photos but they are in the next post.

3. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

4. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

I posted because there are a ton of old chairs out there, and I wanted to see if there is anything special about this, e.g. a rare variant on a Shaker chair on one hand, or a mass produced factory made chair on the other hand. I’m not technical enough to know the difference.

It’s in Idaho, and as it’s at a thrift shop it’s under $30.

judy likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Unless someone else knows something, I'd say it's a survivor from a dining room set. I can see why he likes it though; the seat is great. Someone did a goshawful amount of work needlepointing the seat. A lot of those were partially machine-made and then the background color was done by a lady of the house while listening to her radio programs. If he likes the chair and wants it to use, I'd say go for it. The wood needs some wax or a nice hand polishing, but after 75+ years so will you.:p

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The needlepoint appears to be from the 1970s so more likely watching The Mary Tyler Moore Show. As above, it does look like the entire piece was hand-worked. (But it was placed on the seat with the wrong edge facing forward.) Also agree that chair likely began life as part of a dining room set. Top and bottom don't share design elements but I can see why its aggressive lines caught your eye.

Debora

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The person who redid the chair may have put the covering on the way it fit rather than how it was "supposed" to go. I wouldn't buy it because my cat would use it for a scratching post.

judy likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Interesting chair but $30.00 is too much unless for yourself and completely smitten. Think it is probably European and shows some secessionist design. I am not entirely sure the box for the seat hasn't been reworked at some point. That front rail seems awfully wide and flat for this.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Thank you. This is very helpful. He grew up in an old house full of antiques, so I’m glad to see he is developing an eye for vintage items.

It would definitely be a good project for someone who wants to learn to refinish furniture.

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

To me, the front legs look out of proportion with the rest of the chair. I do like the needlepoint seat covering.

Draft saved Draft deleted