Featured Can anyone offer any help with this cabinet?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Henning Walker, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Henning Walker

Henning Walker New Member

Screenshot_20190422-122105.jpg Screenshot_20190422-122112.jpg Screenshot_20190422-122115.jpg Hi,

I recently inherited this cabinet which we are now using for china. I know it belonged to my Great-grandmother in the past and I have also seen it in the background of a family photo taken in about 1960. It is quite a nice piece of furniture and since it has no markings, I would be interested to know if anyone can offer any help based on the design/patterns?

I would love to know what vintage it is and from where it might have originated.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Henning

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Interesting piece. Is the design at the top paint or inlay? Tell us what you know about it. Where and when did your great grandmother live? Any info. on how she acquired it? etc. A pic of the back, interior, lock, hinges, and top will be helpful. I get the feeling that this is European in origin but await further information.

i need help and kyratango like this.
  4. Henning Walker

Thanks for that! She lived in Warwickshire from the 1930s and came from Wales (although lived in Yorkshire for a few years). Her husband was from North Yorkshire as well - chances are it could have been his as well...

The lock isn't original as I put a new one on. When I had it there was no lock or escutcheon so those were added later, although there was a hole where one should have been. There were also some white porcelain casters on the bottom which I removed as they were impractical, although I can't remember where I put them.

Hope these pictures are of some help!

Henning Screenshot_20190422-154620.jpg Screenshot_20190422-154623.jpg Screenshot_20190422-154628.jpg Screenshot_20190422-154631.jpg Screenshot_20190422-154634.jpg

5. Henning Walker

6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking 1870s English.

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

A little later, I'd say, from the inlay, which is very Edwardian. Looks walnut. It also looks incomplete. I suspect it's half the top of a once rather grand sideboard. English, anyhow.

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome -
    Nice pictures.
    You can remove the duplicate pictures, IF the edit button is still showing in your post.
    Click Edit, More Options, there will be a delete next to the pictures you want to get rid of.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  9. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE IT !!! ... Joy.

i need help likes this.
  10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WANT IT !!! .. Joy.

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Can't disagree with Ownedbybear on this. Definitely an antique at this point.

Draft saved Draft deleted