can anyone provide information on this Chinese vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Nancyb, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Nancyb

Nancyb New Member

I have been told that from the markings on the bottom this vase is from the Ming Dynasty. Can anyone provide mire information on age, value, etc?

Attached Files:

• 045a.jpg
      045a.jpg
      File size:
      289.7 KB
      Views:
    • 050a.jpg
      050a.jpg
      File size:
      265.3 KB
      Views:
  2. KentWhirled

KentWhirled Well-Known Member

I don’t know what the marks mean. You can check them under Chinese marks at www.gortheborg.com. However, I would a hazard a guess that it is a 20th century production. Most of the dynasty marks are “honorific” meaning that it is a nod of respect to former dynasties. It is not all that common to find a “mark and period” piece meaning an item that was made dur No the time or dynasty marked on the bottom.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  3. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

"Great Ming Yongle", but apocryphal 20th c indeed.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

20th or even 21st century. The glaze looks very crisp.
    With Chinese porcelain and pottery the overall style, manufacturing details and condition are much more important than the mark. As Kentwhirled said, marks are often a sign of respect to former periods.
    This was not made as a fake or replica, the mark is just a reference to a great period.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. Nancyb

Nancyb New Member

Thanks for the response everyone. Very informative!

yourturntoloveit and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The picture is upside down, BTW.

Draft saved Draft deleted