Featured Can anyone read Japanese? Impressed porcelain mystery mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by evelyb30, Mar 30, 2023.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Bought this plate mostly to advance my education. It almost has to be Japanese and looks more like a soup plate than anything else. The design is prunus blossoms and Japanese maple leaves etc. That back mark..arggh. It's impressed so Google Lens just plain barfed. I tried reversing the image to see if that's any help - did make it more visible. Shot it through a 10x loupe and this is the best I could do image-wise.

DSCF9369.JPG DSCF9368.JPG DSCF9370.JPG

IvaPan, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  2. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Looks like a Seiji Kaisha mark.

aaroncab, IvaPan, kentworld and 2 others like this.
  3. evelyb30

Thanks. Fukugawa porcelain??? I speak less Japanese than I do Hebrew and read none at all.

IvaPan likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

IvaPan and Bakersgma like this.
  5. evelyb30

Thanks. If they made pieces for the Western market, odds are my soup plate is a soup plate.

IvaPan likes this.
  6. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

If you drew the mark on a piece of paper with a pen, do you think Google lens would recognise it? Just an idea.

IvaPan likes this.
  7. evelyb30

No need. We nailed it.

IvaPan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted