Can anyone read the signature or identify time period?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Holzy, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Holzy

Holzy Member

Hi!
    Can anyone read the signature on this pitcher or give me any idea on the style or time period? I'm not entirely sure if I'm even looking at the signature right side up! IMG_6658-1.jpg
    Thanks! IMG_6653.jpg IMG_6659-1.jpg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Any Jewelry????? Sure doesn't look English!! At least not to me..........either which way!!

Any Jewelry and Holzy like this.
  3. Holzy

Holzy Member

Haha, I know! Every time I look at it I get more confused--both ways seem possible! Thanks for trying!

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Second way up looks more promising to me. E. Janz? Tanz? Otherwise, Czuo? F. In my world signatures sometimes have the letter 'F' after the name for fecit, 'made it'; would be surprised if that were the case here.

Holzy and Aquitaine like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Shape is that of a French pichon or pichet.

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Wasn't this type of ceramics made in one of the Baltic states? Lithuania maybe?
    I know someone called Ernst Jansz, but although he is multi-talented, I don't think ceramics are his thing.
    He used to be a pop musician, one of our Dutch Indonesians, which means teenage girls used to faint when they saw him.:hilarious:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    Holzy and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Teen heartthrob for sure.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

They had ambulances on stand-by. It was one of the reasons why he stopped for a while. Now he makes Dutch Indonesian music, and he writes books.
    He also collects Bali Art Deco and the occasional keris, which is how I got to know him.

Anyway, none of this has anything to do with the lovely black pitcher.:)

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

He'd DO in a PINCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. rene Zen Bali

rene Zen Bali Member

Hi Any Jewelry, I hope this finds you in the best of spirits and that all is well in your part of the world. I came across this interesting sculpture with the name Ketut Rodja carved on the bottom. just wondering if you may know more

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Best to page her. This thread is 5 months old.
    @Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry and bercrystal like this.
  12. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry - Yoohoo!!

@rene Zen Bali - She is probably fast asleep right now but the above will get her to look in on this thread tomorrow. :happy::happy:

Mike beat me to it but now it is for sure she will check it out. ;) :playful::playful:

Any Jewelry and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Hi rene! Been missing you, hope you are all right. I will reply in the Bali Art Deco thread:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/bali-art-deco-thread.30201/page-6#post-3419600

Draft saved Draft deleted