Featured Can anyone tell me about these little Italian lamps?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Kasperscuriosities, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Kasperscuriosities

Kasperscuriosities Two hundred years too late.

Does anyone know anything about these little lamps? I have been looking online and have pulled up similar but they are all Capodimonte and I don't believe these are. Any help with them would be great. They are not very big the bases measure a little less than a foot tall. I can't get an exact measurement because I have misplaced my tape measure in my pile of stuff. I know it is here somewhere but I can't find it. They are not very large around either I would say about 4 inches. I have tried typing in the name on the bottom but nothing is coming up. Maybe I am reading it wrong. To me it looks like fiammimghi which does pull up a bunch of Italian art but not any lamps like this. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

71387017.jpg 71387018.jpg 71387019.jpg 71387022.jpg 71387023.jpg

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

It might be NGHI

3. Kasperscuriosities

Well you're right about the N. I was able to find this page which mentions Capodimonte in the same line as what is marked on the bottom of this lamp. Maybe it is somehow related to Capodimomte after all. Thanks. I will keep looking.

https://lot-tissimo.com/de/i/6715436

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    KingofThings likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Where is Walter? He would be able to tell you when and where they were made.
    greg

5. Kasperscuriosities

KingofThings likes this.
  6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

There was/is an assistant modeler named; Gennaro Fiore.
    ~
    Seems odd there isn't a mark other than these.

Kasperscuriosities likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"Fiori" means flowers in Italian. Could be referring to the design.

Debora

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Fiamminghi means "The Flemings" so maybe it's a design name

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Just a thought - Flemish Flowers?

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Or after the style of Flemish still life painters.

11. jackolin

jackolin Well-Known Member

beautiful pair of lamps!

12. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

Fiori Fiamminghi is translated literally as "Flemish School Flowers". What it refers to specifically is the 16th and 17th century Flemish method and style of painting floral arrangemets in containers or vases as part of a still-life. The realistic depiction of flowers as the central element of a painting was a uniquely Flemish idea that eventually found its way to Italy.
    Note that the initials that appear on the vase are "E.K.". I believe that this is probably the name of the importer rather than the artist or studio. I have reached this conclusion because when writing in the Italian language, which is based on the Latin, the letters K, Y and Z are used only for writing words of Greek origin. The letters J, U and W were added to the alphabet at a later stage to write languages other than Latin. J is a variant of I, U is a variant of V, and W was introduced as a 'double-v' to make a distinction between the sounds we know as 'v' and 'w' which was unnecessary in Latin. Therefore, unless we can identify the importer we will never be able to determine who made it.
    The term Capodimonte refers to, commonly, a style of porcelain, not a specific manufacturer. Capodimonte is a geographical location near the city of Naples and when translated becomes "Top of the Hill". It is the place where the King of Italy and Spain established one of the earliest porcelain factories. It was destroyed about 1800.
    So what you have is a vase in a non-descript style by an unknown manufacturer. This type of pottery was popular in the 1950's. It has no collector value.
    Here is a link to one of my articles written about Capodimonte:
    http://italianpotterymarks.freeforums.org/are-you-confused-about-the-term-capodimonte-t11.html

13. Kasperscuriosities

Wow that was very informative. Thank you. Great article too. I learned a lot just now. I have been very confused by Capodimonte myself.

KingofThings likes this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Q. Where is Walter.
    A. When Antiquers are in trouble I am not slow...
    it's hip hip hip , and away I go !!!

Walter is our Pottery Underdog !!:):):)

15. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thank you Walter for such a helpful/informative description. What a treasure to have you on this site! :)

Not huge value, but decoratively I think these lamps might find a home. Things were made better 60 years ago and these aren't your generic contemporary style lamps. Even the shades look well made. For someone looking for something a bit different, they might find a buyer. These would definitely sell where I live.

16. Walter Del Pellegrino

KOMOKWA & LUCILLE B.
    Thank you so much for the kind compliments. To be declared the equivalent of a superhero was really over the top and made me blush. Tomorrow is my 68th birthday and I am going to have that "Where is Walter" ditty inscribed on my birthday cake.
    Again, thank you for making me smile this morning.

17. komokwa

Hey Walter, no need to blush...you know you're one of our best ' go to guys ' !!

Oh...& your birthday has not escaped my attention................:):)

Kasperscuriosities and cxgirl like this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Happy birthday, Walter! Did you know that komokwa started a "happy birthday" thread for you in the General Discussion forum?

komokwa likes this.
  19. Walter Del Pellegrino

No. I wasn't aware. I'll scoot over there now

20. komokwa

Ya,,,,,,get scooting, y'ol scooter !! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted