Can anyone tell me any more?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Suzy, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Suzy

Suzy Member

I have a what I think is Arts & Crafts Movement copper/brass/cabouchon storage/urn of some type. It's broken and I'm trying to determine whether it's worth an investment to get it fixed. I think that it may have been used to store tobacco possibly (??) but, I really have no idea. The container is made from some kind of heavy ceramic and the underside of the lid has a 'stopper' made from wood. It's missing a leg and a circular ring, but I think it's rather unusual and lovely even though the craftsmanship isn't that good. There are no markings. Hope you can help, many thank you's :p:p IMG_0886.jpg IMG_0887.jpg IMG_0890.jpg IMG_0891.jpg IMG_0896.JPG IMG_0894.JPG IMG_0893.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

You do have an English arts and crafts tobacco humidor. The "stones" are made from glazed pottery and called Ruskin stones. The damage is a shame. If could be repaired inexpensively, it might be worth doing. However, the repair could well exceed value.

Msalicia, kyratango, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  3. Suzy

Suzy Member

Oh brilliant thank you - I'm pleased to hear that I was on the right track, I had searched for tobacco containers for this era but found nothing that resembled this. Do you have any idea of its worth if I could get it fixed - it may be that I only need the leg cleaning up and welding back on. With a fix and a good clean it might look very different. Thanks again

4. verybrad

Value is very dependent on market and selling venue. In very good condition, could see this going for several hundred dollars. In repaired condition, think you would be lucky to get half.

Think you could compare to other arts and crafts copper boxes of unknown make in general. Being a tobacco humidor might make it more desirable to some but may detract to others.

Here is an arts and crafts copper box with Ruskin stone (or maybe glass) that recently sold on ebay for $510.00. I consider this to be an exceptional result for this box. I would have thought about half that more typical.

[​IMG]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-ARTS-AND-CRAFTS-HAMMER-COPPER-OR-BRASS-BOX-WITH-JEWELS-/372727603859?hash=item56c84be293:g:yfQAAOSw6rhdQa2f&nma=true&si=20XIPRaYYTZ%2BkRic4N4aKqxdRME%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

kyratango, Suzy, Michael77 and 2 others like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The single stone on the lid intrigues me, as though it is functional as well as decorative.

kyratango likes this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

There wasn't exactly a bidding war, more like a series of bidding skirmishes that drove price up, ending with 2 who clearly knew or believed something about it that is not apparent to us. One of them kept upping her bids in 100 dollar increments. Have never seen this, ever.

7. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Does anyone else find it weird how the wood block under the lid is attached? Looks like its nailed from the top. The quality seems so poor all around on this.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. verybrad

Not too unusual. Exposed nail heads or rivets are typical for A&C metalwork. Agree that the workmanship is not the best for this but also beat to hell. Hard to judge in this condition.

9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. I don't see any quality; and the material is on the bad side obviously. as it is not stamped, marked or signed I'd abstain from investing in a repair.
    the one shown by brad could be from the continent. overpaid and with the sawn adornment rose eventually German (Erhard knock-off) or possibly Northern England/ Scotland due to the prominent rivet heads.

10. Suzy

Suzy Member

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm doubtful this is English A&C. Quality isn't there to me,including the "Ruskin" cabs.

kyratango and Suzy like this.