Can anyone tell me something about this rug?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by MTswirls, Aug 21, 2019.

1. MTswirls

MTswirls Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It appears to be a Chinese "carved" wool rug. These were popular about 20+ years ago or so around where I am.

3. MTswirls

Thank you! That style seems to be the right match.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is Chinese. Cleaning Chinese rugs is difficult, you have to know what you are doing.

5. MTswirls

Yeah that is true. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to go at it with my carpet cleaner... Maybe I will take it into a professional cleaners to see what they say.

6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

First of all, call your local Oriental rug dealer, and ask where THEY have their cleaning done.

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Beware were you have it cleaned. That meaning small I would clean it my self. When I lived in Brooklyn I used to go to Klines. They were in an old firehouse. The cement pools thay had were four different sizes for different sized rugs. They were put into the shallow pool and soaked with COLD water and a very soft soap. They soaked them for several hours and drained the pool, refilled with fresh water and rinsed, Then they were hand brushed with natural boar or horse hair brushes. They again for rinsed four or five times. They were then hoisted on hangers and raised up two stories to hang in the tower that used to hold the fire hoses. After the drying they were gently brushed and wrapped for delivery. Since I moved to New Jersey I usually wash them myself. Remember to only use COLD water never warm or hot. use a mild soap NOT detergent. I usually put mine on my driveway and turn the hose on them until soaking wet then using a hand brush and soap gently
    scrub them and rinse with the hose several times. Roll it up and walk up and down on them to squeeze out as much of the water has you can. Then unroll them and hang them over a ladder to drip dry for several hours, in the shade never the direct sun. I then take it down and sweep it with a clean broom. Then it goes on a clean floor to finish drying flat. I usually clean up to a four foot wide maybe 8 foot long rug. Other wise it get too heavy for me to lift. My smaller rugs I have no problems with. One rug cleaning place was recommended to me so I went to see. It was HORRIBLE. They just put the rug on a floor and washed it with a rug shampooer for several minutes and had a roller to press out the water and turned several dryers blowing on it. It might be okay for nylon rugs but not for my antique wool ones.
    greg

8. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Definitely has the Chinese look going for it. Fortunately, here in Central Iowa we have a very good oriental rug cleaning shop that charges about a dollar a square foot. THey have brought several back to life for us. We have one very old silk rug that they did wonders with. Greg is right, you need to make sure they are reputable. If you do it yourself, I have found that Woolite works very well. Hope those aren't rust stains on that rug, as they are more problematic.

9. MTswirls

Thank you for that explanation. I can now see why it is essential to go somewhere who knows what they're doing or take matters into my own hands. That sounds like quite the place in Brooklyn. Hopefully I'll be able to come across somewhere who also does quality cleaning carefully.

Draft saved Draft deleted