Can anyone tell me what type of kneehole desk this is and when it was made?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lynsey, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Lynsey

Lynsey New Member

After doing some research I believe it might be some sort of serpentine kneehole desk but I'm not entirely sure. My friend wanted to paint it but I would prefer to keep it as is and potentially restore it. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

40s-50s quasi-Chippendale style. Can't tell if mahogany or just stained to mimic mahogany (leaning toward the latter). Does seem to be solid wood. Not really much value to this even if restored. In the condition it is in, it would not be terrible to paint it. If up for a project, you probably would get good results stripping and refinishing.

i need help, Fid, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

For once, I'd think that would look way better painted. Either a good solid or do something mad funky with it.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OOOOOOH!!!!!! Opposing views!!!!:happy::happy: How exciting!!!:) Either way, it's going to be a Project!!!!!!

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

oh ya....paint it with an american flag flying across the front of it ....in time for the 4th of July !!! Bazinga !!!!

6. Lynsey

Lynsey New Member

Thanks everyone! I had an online appraiser tell me it’s worth $350 as is ($600 restored) though I’m not sure how accurate an online appraisal is. She identified it as an early 1900’s Chippendale style desk. I’m guessing a good restoration would cost more than I’d like to spend so I might just condition it a bit and leave it as is!

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not sure what parallel universe that is in :rolleyes:. Also think more likely 40s-50s. Can't even see it getting $300.00 in immaculate condition in my market. Think even $200.00 a stretch. Certainly wouldn't pay anyone to refinish this.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Don't invite her here..........:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Online appraiser is barking. That's a thrity quid thing here, if you're lucky.

Draft saved Draft deleted