CAN ANYONE TELL THE AGE OF PORCELAIN GARDEN STOOL?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by journeymagazine, Jan 13, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I bought this porcelain garden stool at a local thrift store. It has a unusual support under the seat area - is it possible to tell it's age by that? It has holes in it that had to be harder to make than just forming & firing a solid piece so I think it's above average work.
    But, it also has air bubbles(?) around the top & bottom that are probably decorative but my first thought when I saw them was it'd been fired/baked wrong! Are they a error or the artist showing off his skills?
    It is 18" tall.
    Thank you!

POTTERY GARDEN STOOL KOI FISH 1A_AA.JPG POTTERY GARDEN STOOL KOI FISH 1A_BA.JPG POTTERY GARDEN STOOL KOI FISH 1A_CA.JPG POTTERY GARDEN STOOL KOI FISH 1A_DA.JPG POTTERY GARDEN STOOL KOI FISH 1A_EA.JPG POTTERY GARDEN STOOL KOI FISH 4AAzz.JPG POTTERY GARDEN STOOL KOI FISH 4BAAzz.JPG

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I bought several of these in the 1990s. The top supports were to keep the seat level otherwise it would sag.
    greg

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Those "bubbles" are too regularly shaped and positioned to be random. They must have been "in the mold." And they probably aren't actual "bubbles" anyway.

Christmasjoy, blooey and judy like this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

My thoughts: it is a plant stand. holes on the top & bottom allow water seepage from the planter (matching maybe but missing now) to dissipate. holes on the side allow for air circulation. I wouldn't plunk my butt on it - those upper holes would NOT be comfortable to sit on.

CatOphelia and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

We have 2 in the garden as well. I believe they are to put a heater in to keep you warm in cold weather.

6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree with the more recent dating. A tiny bit vintage, 1980s/90s.

People still like them for outside garden art, etc. so may find a buyer if you can easily do a local sale.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

That was my thought as well. Outdoor garden seat that can be heated if needed.

8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

It is a stool, modern. The holes are simply part of the linked coin motif and not designed to do anything other than decorate although if you put a camp stove inside you could have a nice toasty bum I suppose

9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I always used them in the house as extra seating and plants. The extra 'bubbles" were to give the extra support during the firings.
    greg

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted