CAN ANYONE TELL WHAT YEAR / WHERE FROM - ANTIQUE CONGA DRUM?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Oct 4, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this old beauty at a local thrift store; for $25 I couldn't say no!
    Can anyone tell me how old it is? It's got massive hooks(?) holding the head on!
    Any idea where it's from? It couldn't be Ricky Ricardo's old drum from Club Babalu could it? :)
    Thanks for any info
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MUSIC DRUM CONGA 1A_A.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MUSIC DRUM CONGA 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MUSIC DRUM CONGA 3AA.jpg

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I'm sure Jeff will have more; but looks to be older; 1950, as a guess? Needs some work to be playable; new hardware unless you can get those rusty nuts to turn; a new head, and it could be hard to find something to fit, given the way the old head is installed.

judy likes this.
  4. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

While we wait for jeff and others to chime in.....

:)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  5. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Thanks for the morning wake-up mmarco! I don't need coffee now, oh, yes I do! :) JM, did you check out the Chinese charger?

mmarco102, Houseful and judy like this.
  6. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Nice old conga, not the best shape but no cracks in the wood? The rest is easy to fix, the nuts and bolts can be freed up and the heads are still available but not cheap. 50's, 60's or so seems right for date. The big name (Gon Bop) usually put a company name tag on theirs and I don't think they ever hooked the tension rods over the drum rim like that or had that shape lug. But there are people that call these gon bop because that's the name known in the US. Without any kind of mark or writing I'd guess made in Mexico, though could be the Caribbean or less likely US. Probably not worth putting the money into replacing the head; it will find a buyer as is.

7. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly that's the way the old style drum heads were secured, There should be a metal ring that the skin (when its wet) fits over, the rim fits over that then the rods are tightened while the skin dries. Its been years since I did that kind of work (the 70's down in Miami).

judy likes this.
  8. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Much thanks!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted