Can anyone translate Chinese ?

Discussion in 'Art' started by mdlock, Sep 7, 2020.

1. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

Like to know name of artist. Think the story is about bird finding mate. 20200907_185218_resize_55.jpg 20200907_185829_resize_34.jpg 20200907_185910_resize_60.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

3. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

Well i certainly would appreciate it. As google translate gives me so many different meanings. I really do try to figure out on my own for a weeks before I ask for help.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  4. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

You might ask here: https://www.asianart.com/phpforum/index.php

mdlock likes this.
  5. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

盧光 - Lu Guang

Lu Guang loved painting since he was a child. In his early years, he studied under the master of Lingnan School of Painting, Mr. Ye Quan, who worked diligently and worked hard to integrate ancient and modern. His works are dignified, luxurious and naturally delicate. His paintings have won various national awards, worthy of the name. Here are some pictures selected for friends to appreciate and read.

6. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

Thank you so much you are awesome

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  7. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

Would this be the Lu Guang from the Yuan Dynasty (1271–1368) ? If so it is definitely antique.

8. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

The painting is titled 荷塘清趣 with can roughly be translated as Lotus Pond Scene, a common title for chinese traditional painting with this motif which falls under the class/area of "flowers and birds."
    Thecnicaly speaking (the brush and ink work) is rather poorly executed.

9. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

I thought it was talking about bird finding mate. And all I can say about that comment is Picasso.

10. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

mdlock,

Not sure what you mean by "all I can say about that comment is Picasso." If you are referring to Picasso being "messy" (dully quoted & unquoted) and so that's something that justifies any of the poor work in this painting that I refered to, I have to disagree. This is not the place to go into a detailed discussion of what makes a Chinese traditional painting good or not so good, or simply bad, but I can add some additional thoughts:

Chinese traditional painting obeys very specific rules, when it comes to technique, and the use of brush and ink, composition, etc. There are many aspects that make a painting good. Ink must display the "five colors," for example. The brush strokes must have a quality to them that one learns to recognize when one is into Chinese traditional painting, etc.

Of course, if you like the painting, you might not care about such minutiae, and that's perfectly fine.

I trust we all here share what we can, as per the knowledge we have, with one single goal in mind: help others and contribute what we may.

That said, I stand by my first posting: This one is not a good painting, by Chinese traditional painting standards.

patd8643 and hamptonauction like this.
  11. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

Ok here is a point tradition starts from a long time ago. Hence if this painting was done in the year of 1300 like I asked in my previous post. Then wouldnt this make it the beginning of what creates a tradition. You dont need to be an ass. My post was to find out the name not to be criticized by such an expert as yourself. Sorry if you feel my painting is so bad. I don't come here for your comments for sure.

12. Couch Potato Wannabe

Unfortunately, no, the Lingnan School of Painting I spoke of was only founded in the 19th century and Ye Quan, whom taught Lu Guang, was born in 1943 and is still alive today. Ye Quan and Lu Guang are Chinese Asian Antiquities artists, both very capable of producing works in the older styles.

Sorry, I forgot to add some biography details of the artist the first time around. I was going to but was interrupted during writing and missed doing so. Sorry for the mix up.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    mdlock likes this.
  13. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

Thank you again and needless to say this is what I come here for. To be treated with respect and not talked down to.

14. Couch Potato Wannabe

In JayBees defence, I'd like to say they were likely just responding in relation to a technical ideal of what such works are judged by, as opposed to trying to be mean or unnecessarily critical of your piece. I tend to steer away from any such comments as I've seen them be taken the wrong way too often. If press for further information or specifics about the quality or refinement of a persons item, I tend to get very wordy in my explanations of any comments relating to that as I don't wish to allow room for misinterpretation of it being a personal jab at someones piece.

People come in here with items, they often admire and enjoy, I don't have issue with pointing out if something may not be as old or potentially valuable as they may hope, but I steer clear of telling someone what 'I' think of their piece or how it may be viewed by those in the field. Not being in the field myself, I leave that to the experts.

JayBee has been around in here a long time, and I've not seen them be unjustly unkind to others. Please don't take their remarks as a personal put down of you or your item.

hamptonauction likes this.
  15. mdlock

mdlock Well-Known Member

I would like to apolagize to JayBee in front of everyone for my comment. Its just been a long day and I shouldn't have commented on his comment at all. Im not usually rude to people. Maybe I did just take it the wrong way. Again I hope ypu all accept my appoligies especially JayBee.

hamptonauction likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted