Can I safely call this barkcloth?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Bookahtoo, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I am always confident I know exactly what bark cloth is until I have to decide whether or not what I have is such a thing.

IMG_2736.JPG

IMG_2737.JPG

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
  2. Tauriel

Tauriel Active Member

Yep, Barkcloth :)

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
  3. Bookahtoo

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Sure looks like it, especially if the texture of the front is kinda bumpy. It's a 50s pattern.

5. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

so speaking of bark cloth (or barkcloth); is this technically 'real' bark cloth or a textured cotton weave made to resemble bark cloth and marketed using that 'name'?

6. evelyb30

It's the cotton. The "real deal" is unmistakable.

7. Bookahtoo

8. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Yes, safe to call it "bark cloth".

I believe evelyb30 meant cloth actually made of bark.

9. User 67

User 67 Active Member

Vintage Barkcloth, as the name implies, got it's name from the Hawaiian Tapa Cloth made from the fibers of Kapa or Mulberry bark. It is distinguished by a cotton momie weave (or Crepe weave) which creates little bumps or what look like nubs in the various sized threads.

These cotton fabrics were loomed in the 1940s and 1950s into a medium-heavy weight for upholstery, curtains and etc. They were typically (screen) printed with tropical patterns like large leaves and orchids, later the patterns became more stylized and jazzy, similar fabric with genra scenes, like cowboys for a boys bedroom, have also been called 'barkcloth'; though the pattern has nothing to do with Hawaii or the tropics, the textile is a medium/heavy cotton momie weave intended for upholstery or curtains.

10. evelyb30

Exactly. Once you've seen and felt cloth made from real bark, there's no mistaking it. This stuff is called "barkcloth" but it's mother was a cotton patch and its daddy was a factory loom.

11. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted