Featured Can some one help me identify this table? probably it is an women's desk

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Raduqu, Mar 13, 2021.

?

I m so curious if it s something rare

1. 1

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Raduqu

Raduqu Member

masa1.jpeg masa2.jpeg masa3.jpeg ceramica1.jpeg ceramica2.jpeg Hellow guys, my grandma have this table since she was a child, and she asked me to find the table provenience,and i ve registers here to see if someone more qualified can help me :D.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2021
  2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

3. Raduqu

Raduqu Member

In romania , and thats not a clock, it s a draw.

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

sorry, I see it now.

judy, Ghopper1924 and TraceyB like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Raduqu.
    Was that in the 1950s? I wonder if it was made in Romania.

Wait around, more people will be along later.
    I will tag some people for you, @Ghopper1924 , @verybrad .:)

6. Raduqu

Raduqu Member

Thank you a lot, i apreciate.

7. Raduqu

Raduqu Member

And my grandma told me that she have the table from her parents... it s kinda old more than 100 years

8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

French or Romanian Rococo Revival mahogany desk. I know that Romania and France share some cultural ties; at one time Bucherest thought of itself as the Paris of east Europe.

Those look like Sevres plaques; at least they're in that style. I'd say ca. 1850-60 or so. The desk could very well have been made in France. Very nice! I wish it were mine. I would never sell it :)

Oh, and a Rococo Revival woman's desk just sold at auction here in my part of the U.S. Midwest. Not dissimilar to yours, but the carving was better. On the other hand, it did not have any plaques like yours does. It sold for almost $3K. Not saying that yours would sell for more or less than that, but it's good to know, right?

9. Raduqu

Raduqu Member

Yes, thank you so much, every comment help s me to find the origin of the table, btw in the draw you can still smell the parfume that was stored in it. It s kinda cool, a piece of history.

judy, Tanya and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

And mahogany...

judy likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Romania also bought much from Italy, so it could be from there.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Raduqu

Raduqu Member

So hard to find the origin.

Ownedbybear and judy like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Romania has always had a strong connection with Italy. They feel related because they speak a Romance language.

14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

impossible. because it's not a pure style, but a revival from what I read here. and there were about 3 main Rococo Revivals and a few smaller ones in different countries.

15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, aj, I can read Romanian fairly well. The food has strong influences of Italy - we've a local Romanian restaurant which does a melange of both cuisines.

Darkwing Manor and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Speaking of Romania- if you ever find yourself in Maryhill, Washington, there is a fabulous collection of the decorative arts designs and objects of Queen Marie of Romania. She designed and fabricated much of her own clothing, furnishings, textiles and art, including her coronation robes and crown. An avid promoter of Romanian culture, she also donated a large collection of folk costumes to Maryhill. She was a remarkable and fascinating woman. https://www.maryhillmuseum.org/inside/exhibitions/permanent-exhibitions/queen-marie-of-romania
    A Maryhill Museum Interior 001 (1).jpg

17. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

She was brilliant! Thanks for the link, Darkwing.

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  18. Raduqu

Raduqu Member

Yes... im gonna search more :d

19. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

from the photo looks as if she had also a liking for arts and crafts from her home country England.

20. Raduqu

Raduqu Member

Probably it s from england, dunno for sure

Draft saved Draft deleted