Featured Can someone help me with a clock?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SaraSpanda, Nov 15, 2018.

1. SaraSpanda

SaraSpanda New Member

HI all,

This is my first post and I'm really excited to see what you all have to say! I found this Ansonia clock at my local antique store (quite by accident), bought it for a song or a little less and would like to know more about it. I've looked through photos of Ansonia clock styles, and can't find it. It's 16" tall, 11" wide and about 6" deep. It takes a 5.5 key. Help? 20181115_204644_resized.jpg 20181115_204658_resized.jpg 20181115_204712_resized.jpg 20181115_204727_resized.jpg

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Perhaps the front was remade

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't know clocks...but I'll help you pet that cat !!!!!:):):)

i need help, SaraSpanda and judy like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the board.
    I'm going to ask a moderator to move this to the Antique Discussion forum. Not everyone will see it here in Introductions.

Be sure to check back as people come and go at different times of day.

@daveydempsey

5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Looks like a mid range Ansonia time and strike 8 day mantel or shelf clock from the first decades of the 20th C.
    Looking for a specific model name is fairly futile as it is pretty meaningless to clock people who can see exactly what it is and do not shop for clocks by model, just maker, type, quality and condition.

It does have one interesting technical feature, a pendulum adjustment through the dial. A watch key on the small arbour in the hole by the 12 turns a gear on top of the pendulum assembly to raise and lower the pendulum for minor timing adjustment. This idea was invented by Brocot in France in the 1860s but is unusual in American clocks, indeed I do not recall having seen it but may have simply forgotten.
    I suspect that when it strikes the movement sounds like a bag of loose parts rattling around but this is normal, working tolerances in most mass market US clocks are so large they will almost work as long as all the bits are in the same room.

6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Sara!

Love your kitty!

James Conrad and i need help like this.
  7. SaraSpanda

SaraSpanda New Member

I love your Dala horse!

8. SaraSpanda

SaraSpanda New Member

I was wondering what the other adjustment hole was for! It is much smaller than the winding key, so I wonder if this had a double-sided key or another key? Thank you!

i need help likes this.
  9. SaraSpanda

SaraSpanda New Member

It looks like I answered my own question! I think this is the type of key it needs. Unfortunately, my clock needs a replacement key, but I have to find a 5.5 size. 41vGBdYryML._AC_US218_.jpg

i need help likes this.
  10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Thank you....I have a collection of at least 35!:cat:

11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Sara! :)

SaraSpanda and James Conrad like this.
  12. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

LOL, I had NO IDEA what a Dala horse was!, till now

Donstoys, SaraSpanda and i need help like this.
  13. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Welcome sara and I really like the clock.

SaraSpanda and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted