Featured CAN SOMEONE TELL IF THESE ARE REAL SCARABS OR NOT??

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Aquitaine, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OK, please don't get your knickers in a bunch, but these two little things Mom always said that's what they were, and Guess Who has wound up with them???? Yep.....PLEASE don't hesitate to tell me if they are absolutely nothing either!!!!! Then I would be happy to trash them. There are only 2......the greener one is smaller about 15/16"......the whiter one is about 1- 1/16"......they heft in your hand like small stones and feel cold..... I have NO CLUE where Mom would have gotten them. To the best of my knowledge, no cleaning of any sort has ever been done....at least never by me!!!! For your perusal:
    BOTH:
    ZZZZZ BOTH SCRBS BACKS.jpg ZZZZZ BOTH SCRBS BOTTMS.jpg ZZZZZ BOTH SCRBS TOPS.jpg

GREEN-:
    ZZZZZ GRN SCRB FRT.jpg ZZZZZ GRN SCRB BCK.jpg ZZZZZ GRN SCRB SID-1.jpg ZZZZZ GRN SCRB SID-2.jpg

WHITE-:
    ZZZZZ SCRB LGHT-BCK.jpg ZZZZZ SCRB LGHT-SID-1.jpg ZZZZZ SCRB LGHT-SID-2.jpg

Oh, and thank you for looking and giving honest opinions!!!! Very MUCH appreciated from ANY and ALL!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

They are not real dung beetles,but they could be older faience scarabs.

Aquitaine, Figtree3, Jaena and 6 others like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Faience doesn't feel all that cold. These look like 19th C or so carved stone scarabs. It's the little bead ones that are usually faience.

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

They look like pottery rather than steatite & show traces of faience glaze. The Egyptians have been making them for thousands of years in pretty much the same way. Tourists & invading troops have probably been bringing them home as souvenirs for just as long. I doubt very much these are antiquities.

Jaena likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I don't think pottery from the original description. Faience is lighter and not cold.

Aquitaine and Jaena like this.
  6. Bronwen

7. Aquitaine

Thanks @Bronwen!!!! Now my head is really spinning!! Forgot to mention that the holes only go a little way in on each end, not that THAT would change anything!! SO, am also assuming there would be little to zilch value here???

8. Bronwen

Except for big metal scarab paperweights, that sort of thing, they always seem to be either drilled through, or partially, like yours, even when set in a way that makes no use at all of the drilled places.

I was trying to be gentle. Their value is to your family, as something your mom acquired & held on to.

Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Thanks Bronwen!! I have no attachment to these though, and no relatives I can think of who would be interested in them!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: But I do have a friend!!! MUCH appreciated!!!!

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted