Can someone tell me something about this (antique) large decorated Middle Eastern water jug?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Robert Walker, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Robert Walker

Robert Walker Love to learn...

I'm having a hard time finding info on this water jug. I would love to know more about it. Like the country it's from, the age of the item, and last but not least: the images. Thank you for helping. (Weight 3 kg, height 43 cm, max diam. 72 cm)

Photo’s via this link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/7VwWTQ3nRiRjo8tx6

KSW likes this.
  2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Hello and Welcome
    It is best for you to download pictures that you can resize and then post the actual FULL IMAGE pictures here. Most people probably will not click on to your link because they are not familiar with you and there is just some protocol to be followed...for best results. I personally looked at your photos and can tell you that these items come up rather frequently.
    Wait for the others to weigh in. Happy hunting!

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. flipper

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I’m going to take a guess of Zoroastrian themed. Maybe look at friezes of Persepolis. But wait for other replies.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    kyratango, KSW, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Maybe way off but how about Ethiopia?

KSW likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Iran/Persia, a historically themed souvenir, tinned copper. As inh said, could be inspired by Persepolis friezes.
    My guess is pre-WWII.

8. Robert Walker

KSW likes this.
  9. Robert Walker

Thank you, I never thought of that! I'll enjoy looking into it though, even just for getting a look at some artifacts!

KSW likes this.
  10. Robert Walker

Hi 'A J', thank you for helping out. I agree it's most likely tinnen copper. At the time of purchase, way back in the beginning of 'collecting', I was told it was much older. He suggested 'early 20'th/late 19th' century. When I asked him how he was able to date the jug, he said he could tell by the way it was put together, i.e. the handle and the bottom. I've always had my doubts. But, then again, I do own items that are really of the age mentioned above, and there seems to be some truth to what the guy said at the time. Then again, there are very talented craftsmen, who can do anything to make an item look like an 'antique'. I'm going to enjoy looking into 'Persepolis friezes', this is essentially what I enjoy doing- looking into a part of history instigated by a tangible object i've acquired. I would like to ask you what made you think of the age you suggested, pre-WWII. Thanks for helping out, I've been 'welcomed' generously by members of this forum. I was a member of a Dutch forum, but left 'caus at times it was snobbish, at times even rude/offensive. All the best!

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. flipper

Now that we have delved into this particular item's potential history, I will be digging up mine to see what kind of responses it generates. Then we can compare notes!:rolleyes:

KSW likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

This is where I hope I don't offend you.:nailbiting:
    At the end of the 19th century tourism became an important source of income in Iran/Persia. There was such a demand for Persian souvenirs that ca 1900 the quality began to suffer. Charming pieces were manufactured, but there was a lack of detail and finesse compared to earlier work. From ca 1900 - WWII this trend continued.
    Yours has a very nice, pleasing shape and elegant handle, but the decoration lacks finesse and defintion. The subject matter, ancient Persian history, is geared towards tourists. In those days the locals prefered religious motifs, scenes from classic Persian minatures, or floral or bird (paradise) motifs.

After WWII the Iranian government decided good arts education and quality control were needed to produce items of the same quality as Qajar dynasty pieces. Top quality souvenirs started to appear from ca 1960, and continue to be made to this day.
    I wasn't even aware there was such a forum, but from what you say, I am glad I wasn't. I am very happy to have found Antiquers.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    kyratango, KSW and 2manybooks like this.
  13. Robert Walker

Dear A J, I'm not offended at all! Thank you for you informative reply, It's very useful. Much appreciated!

kyratango, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Oh good (sigh of relief ;)).
    Some people think souvenirs are junk, but that is not necessarily so. They are often part of social history, and an insight on how people want to represent their culture in an interaction with outsiders. I appreciate that, and collect certain types of souvenir myself, like Balinese Art Deco carvings, and some souvenir jewellery, like Fischland jewellery from Baltic Germany.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  15. Robert Walker

I Agree. And like I said, I bought this years back. You could have told me anything back, then. (But it could be that the person selling it thought he was giving me true info...) I have to agree with what you said about souvenirs, and I also think that you are very likely right about the age of the item. I would be keen to learn at some stage how to recognize/determine the age of an item. (With paintings, I'm still learning, but I find it easier to tell...) Furthermore: "Balinese Art Deco carvings, and some souvenir jewellery, like Fischland jewellery from Baltic Germany." Whow! I love to hear what other people collect- thanks for sharing. Now, with all the input/answers I got, I've got enough leads to find out more. Thank you!

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

It could be argued that I collect collections.:hilarious:
    Some of my Bali Art Deco, and some beautiful pieces others posted as well:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/bali-art-deco-thread.30201/

i need help, kyratango and KSW like this.
  17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I now have a mental image of you like Charles Pages Wade who was a collector of random collections from around the world. He lived in a huge Tudor house about 15 miles from here called Snowshill Manor. Well worth a visit if you like hundreds of eclectic collections. In one room there is Samurai armour, then some old bottles, toys, masks,you name it. No link between the collections and not always valuable stuff but fascinating none the less. It's a National Trust property.

18. Robert Walker

Hi All, thank you for all of your suggestions, replies and help.

A few of 'foramistas' suggested I'd sh looked at Persepolis Freezes. I did. And I, like others am sure it's Persian ('themed'). What helped was that the various depictions that are 'floral themed'. I believe that these are meant to be a (version of a) cypress tree. I read: "Among the symbols which the Iranians hold dear, none is as popular as the cypress tree." Source: https://www.cais-soas.com/News/2008/April2008/25-04.htm Looking for more info I stumbled on to this website. It is very comprehensive and informative. Def. recommended for anyone interested in Persian history or as a proverbial referencebook:
    http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/search/topic:19/

Also I do believe that the person that sold me this years ago was 'somewhat' of when dating the item. And it is more likely to be of recent age. (Like said before, I always had my doubts.) I have send the above mentioned website a mail, asking if I can send some pic's, hoping they can help me with more info. No idea if they will respond- if so, will let on. (Of course, I mentioned that I posted the item in a distinguished forum, and got nice replies, but no def. 'hammer down'. To give it some cachet, of course. And to suggest that thousands, if not millions, are eagerly awaiting for the to enlighten us. Hahaha) We'll see. Further:

@KSW I had never heard of Charles Pages Wade, but 'caus of your 'mental image' I looked him up online. I hadn't heard of him- good tip! And, @blooey I enjoyed looking up some Ethiopian history - @Any Jewelry - To recently, I never payed attention to 'Balinese Art Deco carvings' nor 'Fischland jewellery from Baltic Germany'. Now i have! This is why I love being part of a forum.

All the best, Robert.

Any Jewelry, blooey and i need help like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

@Robert Walker , will you let us know what they say (if they reply)?
    That is one of my 'go to' sites.:)
    Yay!:happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted