Can you help identify this piece of stunning asian pottery?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lofty89, May 18, 2017.

1. Lofty89

Lofty89 New Member

Hi guys, just wondered if I should throw this in the bin or attempt to sell. Would it fetch much? What is it? Chinese/Japanese? repro/authentic? Age? Value? Many thanks.

Attached Files:

Joshua Brown likes this.
  2. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Looks like baked dirt to me. Please state the material in the question to get the right eyeballs and avoid wise a$$ comments like mine. Also the area when apparent in the object as yours is. The folks who come here are looking for help and willing to help. Help them help you.

komokwa, verybrad and Joshua Brown like this.
  3. Lofty89

Lofty89 New Member

What the hell are you even talking about? Genuinely confused.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

They are asking that when you post for help you title your thread with information to attract the people who can help you. In this case "Oriental pottery vase ID help please" would have done the trick :)

verybrad and Joshua Brown like this.
  5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

What Mr. Nesmith is saying (in a way only he can say it!) is that a title reading "Help with a ceramic vase - Asian? Repro?" would have brought the proper people (pottery people) to view your post. Many people do not look at posts that are not within their sphere of interest or expertise..............

I only looked because I thought you were stuck down a well and needed someone to call the rescue squad................:):)

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Translation: Please put the word pottery (or ceramic, porcelain, etc) and possible origin (Asian or Japanese in this case) in your title to get better assistance. A title such as HELP! does nothing to get viewers to your thread and get the assistance you seek.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

LOL! .... guess it all got us here to translate ;)

As to the object in question, I have no expertise in Asian ceramics and little interest. A proper title would have avoided me sticking my nose in at all.

8. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

Exactly the reason I'm here!:D

9. Lofty89

Lofty89 New Member

*FOR FUTURE POSTERS* Can we stay on topic, literally did not come here for life lessons. Just a hint as to the origin/age/value will suffice.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Very pretty decorative vase.

If you can still edit the title add Asian pottery.
    We have several people who might be able to read the mark.
    Check back tonight.

Lofty89 and Joshua Brown like this.
  11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Not life lessons, lessons in how to ask your questions so you can get the help you are looking for.

12. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Awfully demanding for someone who's asking for free advice and information from others. Oops, sorry for adding yet another "off topic" reply.

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Wow, I just came home and seem to have missed a lot of excitement.
    Since the present title refers to stunning Asian pottery, I expected to finally see a stunning piece of Yuan:(. Did someone warn Asian Fever, that is another person who is hoping for stunning Yuan.

Anyway, I am very glad you don't need a rescue squad.
    Your vase looks like authentically recent porcelain from Japan. It is not pretending to be anything else, so not repro. I know very little about recent Japanese porcelain, but someone else will.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Kronos and Joshua Brown like this.
  14. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

I don't want to sound like a boy scout but I've noticed some patterns about threads that turn into non-productive arguments. When I'm not doing school or posting here I'm editing on Wikipedia. On Wiki we use this chart to make a contradicting reply that is not inflammatory:
    Graham's_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement.png

This chart does not perfectly apply to a forum such as this but the principles of writing can still be understood and applied.
    In the first place I think @Lofty89 could have been given a little slack having only 18 messages. That aside Mr. Nesmith's post would fall into the Contradiction category of the chart and @Lofty89's post would fall somewhere around Ad Hominem. Usually saying "what the hell" is not something that indicates a genuine confusion and a desire to hear the same thought in a clearer form. I agree that Mr. Nesmith's comment could have been put more concisely but that's no cause for frustration. I'll not talking about being politically correct but am talking about wording responses in such a way to more concisely get the point across without causing anger.
    I hope I haven't been preachy, let me know if I have been.
    :)

15. Lofty89

Lofty89 New Member

Why are you adding to this mess?... CAN WE JUST STAY ON TOPIC. Admin?!!? Whoever attempts to actually give some constructive help at this stage as opposed to commenting because as one user suggested they 'missed a lot of excitement', is just going to get confused and not bother. Admins?!

16. silverthwaite II

silverthwaite II Well-Known Member

Yes, Reverend, you have been preachy. However, we all had the same instinct, as you can see, and a good sermon is necessary now and then.

And, Lofty -- fear not. While I do more or less alright here, don't ask me to describe someone's car. I usually begin with, "Well, it wasn't a Jeep." Nor can I give directions which involve Routes, and Highways, and such. "Down the road a few miles until you come to the yellow house with a lot of big maple trees and a bicycle on the porch," is about the best I can do.

Any Jewelry and Joshua Brown like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

As I already wrote:
    And as others on this forum know, the one thing I hate, is having to repeat myself.
    I thought I was giving "some constructive help" there, but apparently not.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Bakersgma, jakatch, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Hear, hear.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  19. silverthwaite II

silverthwaite II Well-Known Member

And, here, here!

Joshua Brown and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Lofty89

Lofty89 New Member

It's ridiculous. I have never seen anything like it. Not to be presumptuous but I assume you are all men (and women) of a certain age, working in a sphere such as antiques that requires a level of professionalism. It's just a debacle, comparable to a youtube comments section.... no offence but I expected more from a forum like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted