Can you help me ID this dish ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tom Mackay, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

Please excuse my almost total ignorance about glassware. I happened across this and thought it worthy of research.
    1. Is it cut or pressed glass ? (There - ignorance exposed) 20190316_083901.jpg 20190316_084251.jpg 20190316_083920.jpg
    2. Age ?
    3. Maker ?
    4. Pattern name ?
    Photo 1 - overhead
    Photo 2 - closer
    Photo 3 - arbitrarily decided 12 o'clock position.
    Photo 4 - opposite side to photo 1
    Photo 5 - a detail
    Photo6 - bottom
    Photo 7 - bottom

EddieG and i need help like this.
  2. Tom Mackay

hit create too soon - 20190316_083940.jpg 20190316_084933.jpg 20190316_084449.jpg 20190316_084853.jpg

judy likes this.
  3. Tom Mackay

Oh boy - forgot dimensions - diameter - 6 1/4" across top (16cm).
    Height - 1.5" (3.8cm).

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Very pretty, that’s the extent of my knowledge. :) I’ll watch and learn along with you.

judy and Tom Mackay like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

How sharp (or dull) do the places where it would be cut feel to your fingers? What about the "points" on the edge?

judy, Tom Mackay and i need help like this.
  6. Tom Mackay

I'm having a difficult time tonight. I got kicked off without realizing it.
    Lost my reply. So - the little dots on the squares feel like the surface of a fine wood rasp without the "cutting power" if that makes sense. Nothing feels like raw glass or the edge of broken glass. I can't detect a seam. The only edginess I feel is on the edges of the triangular rim points, on the surfaces faces the interior of the dish. I'll try a few more photos. 20190316_191906.jpg 20190316_193258.jpg 20190316_193309.jpg

i need help likes this.
  7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Excellent photography for glass.

Otherwise, I know nothing.

Jivvy, judy, Tom Mackay and 1 other person like this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

9. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

For what little it ads, the only mold seam (to be found or felt) is around the edge. There would be no other seams sin this shape. Also, the gray areas in the last two images were cut with a grinding wheel to give a bit more character to the plate. This technique wasn't used until the last third of the 20th century, generally, though there might have been some use of it earlier. I'd date your piece accordingly, last 1/3 20th century.

dgbjwc, judy, Bakersgma and 1 other person like this.
  10. Tom Mackay

Thanks. It's a challenge.

11. Tom Mackay

Thanks.
    I'm still curious as to possible Maker or if the design has a name.
    I found a mark on the rim that may be a mold mark or may be a scratch - my fingernail catches on it. The alignment makes me suspicious. 20190317_061711.jpg

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted