CAN YOU HELP ME IDENTIFY THE ARTIST

Discussion in 'Art' started by IMAD MAIDENHEAD, Jan 25, 2020.

1. IMAD MAIDENHEAD

IMAD MAIDENHEAD New Member

HI ALL, I BOUGHT AN OIL PAINTING TODAY AT AN AUCTION, BUT CAN'T IDENTIFY THE ARTIST. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS. THANKS.
    20200125_180852 (1).jpg 20200125_180944 (2).jpg 20200125_180933 (1).jpg 20200125_180910 (1).jpg

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

This is just a decorative production line painting, known affectionately in the trade as a "pot boiler";)

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yours does appear to be a decorative painting.

Debora

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the "Starving Artist" sales at motels/hotels back in the 80's.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The "This is an original oil painting" stamp is a red flag that yours is a decorative piece. Here's what the internet had to say about another painting stamped such...

"This is a circa 1950 to 1980 (staples on the back can be no earlier than 1950) painted by a studio artist (unknown) and published by a home decor art company that sold the paintings through catalogs, department and furniture stores. These were original paintings by artists that would have never otherwise been known because the work was just below
    the quality level of being considered fine art."

Painting such as yours were bought from wholesalers who sourced them in Asia, Europe and South America. The artist's name Leopold Bayer would be a nom de pinceau.

Debora

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted