Featured Can you help me to read some english text please ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lecollectionneur, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

Speaking about snuffboxes in another thread, I make pictures to illustrate that and remember from a painted English or Scottish snuffbox which has something in the image I can't read, they are certainly some persons who know if it's a legend, or a traditional place on this stone.
    Then a picture of the entire cover and next details.
    Thanks for your help.;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

kyratango, Houseful, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

This is a simple one.The stone reads 10 miles to Gretna (Gretna Green) a destination on the Scottish border for eloping couples to marry without parental consent, so the coach and couple are eloping.

kentworld, 808 raver, Jivvy and 11 others like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Interesting -- and they appear to be in a rush, too.

kyratango likes this.
  4. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

didn't know about gretna green but it does say "the elopement" bottom right :D

5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

By the look on her face, it looks more like a kidnapping.

komokwa and kyratango like this.
  6. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

Thanks afantiques, I suppose it was something to do with this tradition reading the elopement and the two in the coach which are not afraid, the men makes a salute with his hat and the maid is quiet in the coach, but don't know the exact name of Gretna Green, and as by hazard it was just the name which is damaged on the picture.:banghead:
    It was certainly a gift made for a couple married in Gretna Green, it's a lot of work for a souvenir item, I want to search a picture like this scene to know if it was a particular event.
    After a web search, this is with Yandex I have the better results, some are couples in a coach but none are equivalent, then it was more a single event as a story or a legend I suppose.

As it seems that afantiques knows well the stories about Scotland, can you say me if this snuffbox picture is something traditional or made only for a specific person please ?
    This is one of the pictures and the others and the sides on this link.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted