Can you make out this mark?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Sam1994, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Sam1994

Sam1994 Member

Hi everyone! Can anyone make out this mark? It’s on an old spoon. Any help is really appreciated. I’m trying to date the piece. It was dug up in Zelienople Pa.

Sam

Attached Files:

2. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Looks like it says Rogers Nickel Silver. It's pretty corroded but if you photo the whole spoon someone may be able to identify the pattern, leading to the first date of production.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

There was a mark of "ROGERS NICKEL SILVER" used by William Rogers Manufacturing Co of Hartford, CT.

Figtree3 and Sandra like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

So if this is accurate, the date ranges of the company would be 1865-1898.
    https://www.artdesigncafe.com/william-rogers-manufacturing-company-hartford-design-catalogues

The description of the company on the following page is more detailed and also more confusing when trying to figure out dates for that mark. However, the main date range is the same. Scroll down to see William Rogers Mfg. Co.
    http://www.silvercollection.it/ROGERSSILVERMANUFACTURERS.html

i need help likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Rainwater does not have any dates for this mark, but be aware that even after International was created most of the component companies continued to use their own marks. Took a long time for them to disappear from the marketplace.

Without seeing the design side of this spoon it is tough to know when it was made (although I suspect it would be early 20thC at the earliest and could be into the 30s.)

Figtree3 and Sandra like this.