Featured Can you put a date on this beautiful and strange hidden mirror (painting)?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Oliver277, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Oliver277

Oliver277 Active Member

Hello

I found this beautiful hidden mirror with a sculpted wooden frame and a nice painting.
    The story I was told about this is following:
    It was in a convent and since nuns were forbidden to look at them in a mirror, it's a hidden mirror.
    I don't know if it's true.
    I dont know neither if all the parts come from the same era.
    I think the sculpted frame is older than the mirror and the painting. On the frame there's some old green and red paint and a bit of gold on the edges.
    Can you tell it's age?
    The painting looks old and maybe signed. However a part of signature looks worn off and the painting is dirty therefor it's not easy to give you info about that.

My questions is :
    How old is it? 20th century or older?
    Who is the author of this painting?
    How much do you think it's worth?

Thanks for your help

Attached Files:

Marzena, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Oliver277

Oliver277 Active Member

2nd pic

Attached Files:

3. Oliver277

Oliver277 Active Member

3rd pic

Attached Files:

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

D6CB1706-D34C-470B-B18C-BB5BF737C6E6.jpeg 0760F1CF-6A9A-485B-817B-479136E4286B.jpeg 56DD9CD7-B79F-41A5-BAAC-793ACEB4B25D.jpeg Beautiful!
    Checking Full Image will have them appear like this. :)

5. Oliver277

Oliver277 Active Member

6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Oliver!

You did well uploading your photos.....now if you hit the Edit button you will be able to choose Full Image, rather than button.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Doesn't look terribly old. The paint wear is applied in an effort to age the piece. If I had to guess, I'd think 1960s but someone else may have a differing opinion.

Debora

8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I see INH did her magic!!:cat:

9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe you can add a close up of the signature portion.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Oliver277

Oliver277 Active Member

Hi, ty
    I ask myself if it's not just the frame and the mirror that are old and later someone added the painting? It's visible that the people on the painting have been retouched.

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The painting is Dutch, I recognize the tower, but right now can't remember where it is. I am going to log out now, but will think about it.

12. Oliver277

Oliver277 Active Member

I will do it tommorow with sun light but that will not help much..is writed small and praticly cleared.. is things like d or p ess (?) ___ ??16

13. Oliver277

Oliver277 Active Member

Thank you any jewerlry
    Its a good begin..dutch painting

14. Oliver277

Oliver277 Active Member

Thank you :)

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  15. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I'm wondering if the "painting" is actually a print with hand-painted touches.

But I can't tell from the current crop of photos.

Fid, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  16. Oliver277

Oliver277 Active Member

Thank you for your answer..i will add moore and betters pictures tommorow.

17. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

It looks like a scene from a Wijnand Nuyen painting, but I don't know that it is...

18. Any Jewelry

The tower is the Hofpoort in Rotterdam, the way it was before 1614. The Hofpoort once stood in the grounds of a Medieval castle. Later it was incorporated into the city walls on the side of the old harbour.
    Most paintings and prints are of the other side, but you can recognize the characteristic shape and the very tall chimney.

[​IMG]

In 1614 the semi-round waterfront tower was demolished. A new, more angular shaped tower was built in 1778, with a lower chimney on the other side:

[​IMG]

This second tower was demolished in 1833, it stood in the way of a new traffic plan. Modern times....

So the original image of your painting either dates from before 1614, or it was a nostalgic image of the old tower.
    Whether it is an original, a painted copy, or a print I couldn't say from the photos.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  19. Any Jewelry

Wijnand Nuyen could have painted the second Hofpoort before it was demolished, but I don't know if he did. The second Hofpoort is reminiscent in shape of the first one, and in the same location.

Christmasjoy, i need help and judy like this.
  20. Oliver277

Oliver277 Active Member

Here is others pictures
    Hope that will help better.

1.JPG thumbnail_IMG_20190731_101921.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20190731_101010_1.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20190731_101052.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20190731_101339.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20190731_100521.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20190731_101247.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20190731_101149.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20190731_101826.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20190731_101739.jpg

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted