Canada 5-cent 1945 - premium value?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by moreotherstuff, May 1, 2018.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Curiosity question only. The coin isn't hard to come by, and is low in value. I was looking for a picture online and choose these because they seemed fairly well focused. As I looked at it more closely, it's really horribly minted. There's a ledge that runs almost halfway around the obverse and intrudes to the point where it interferes with the lettering. The rim beading on the reverse looks like a toothless hillbilly. Would the value of a coin like this be helped by things like that, or hindered?

z.jpg

zz.jpg

Attached Files:

• zzz.jpg
      zzz.jpg
      File size:
      47.3 KB
      Views:
    • zzzz.jpg
      zzzz.jpg
      File size:
      29.6 KB
      Views:
    Joshua Brown likes this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Caused by Die deterioration, the machine that struck millions of them got fatigued.
    The planchet, (the metal disc) gets bounced about before being struck with the die.

Its worth face value IMO

Joshua Brown and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thanks. I saw one on eBay that had a couple tiny bits of damage, nowhere near like this, and that seller emphasized them to increase the price. Made me wonder. I expect better from the mint.

Joshua Brown and daveydempsey like this.
  4. Catlovr

Catlovr Active Member

Off center strike. Save it, mint errors can be worth thousands. U.S. mint has several error coins that bring a premium.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

1945....V for Victory....the musta been drunk making them..!

Joshua Brown likes this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Its not off centre, its die wear.
    This is off centre.

Off-center_strike.jpg

7. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

@moreotherstuff mind if I hijack the thread. I've got a Candian dime that I believe has an error.

komokwa likes this.
  8. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Agree with Davey 100%, face value

komokwa and Joshua Brown like this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

My question, I think, has been pretty much answered.

Go ahead and show the dime, though you might do better starting a separate thread.

Sometimes I wonder about the Mint's quality control. We've had three different colors of dollar coin of which I am aware.
    I think of them L-R as yellow, red, green
    Canada Dollar Coin Looney 3 Three Colors Colours June2015.jpg
    (I cleaned and polished those to be certain I was seeing the metal color and not just different forms of tarnish. I know you're not supposed to do that, but then I went out and spent them, so who cares.)

Joshua Brown likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sometimes the loonies are such strange colors....I have to look twice at my change...!

Joshua Brown likes this.