Featured Canada Goose Brings $810,000

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by James Conrad, Sep 18, 2018.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I never understood how some bird decoys could be so expensive until i read this article in MAD yesterday, most of the better examples are in private collections. Article at the link.
    https://www.maineantiquedigest.com/stories/canada-goose-brings-810000/7089

"Until 1912 when the sale of migratory birds was outlawed in Massachusetts, market gunners used live decoys, thereby decimating the population. When the Migratory Bird Treaty Act was signed into federal law in 1918, carved decoys became hot properties. Today record-breaking decoys at auction or private sale take flight from one private collection to another, usually at a higher price each time. Each bird is known; as in genealogy, each decoy’s ownership can be traced back over a century or more. All remain under careful stewardship until it’s time to enter the next collection."

copley1018-18.jpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    kentworld, Chiquita, cxgirl and 17 others like this.
  2. chipperdoug

chipperdoug Active Member

I really enjoyed the article you referenced. I am a "minor league" collector of decoys and calls, so it was very interesting to me. Thanks for posting.

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Thanks James, that was a great read, since I had not yet gotten to it!!!!!

4. James Conrad

Yeah, i thought it interesting as well, as i don't hunt i never realized that hunters used live birds as decoys prior to the federal ban which caused carved wood decoys to dominate & create a market for what really is Folk Art. The Feds actually stumbled into doing a good thing for a change, who knew?

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, James, thanks for showing us. I use to see old decoys in an Americana gallery here, but never of this quality.
    Good to know more of the background as well.

6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Interesting read , and that pictured decoy is Beautiful !! .. Thanks James :) .. Joy.

7. James Conrad

Interesting that the carver is unknown, very American in a way, it's the same for the world record price on a single piece of american furniture, unknown who built it.

And, it's got a beautiful price tag as well!

8. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Hand made fishing lures, kreels and reel cases can be works of art, too...

Thanks for this, @James Conrad!

9. scoutshouse

That thing is huge! I wonder if was ever actually used? Likely to scare off a lot of wildlife...

Kind of like a scaregoose!

10. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

DH's brother was a serious collector and traveled far and wide collecting decoys and judging craving contests. He was founder of this, named after famous Maryland carver brothers:
    https://www.wardmuseum.org/
    When he passed away, his family decided to auction his collections. 4 auctions were held in different collecting areas. We were all amazed at the prices his collections brought, similar to the above article.
    Patd

cxgirl, pearlsnblume and James Conrad like this.
  11. Erstwhile

Erstwhile Active Member

And that's not even an auction record for a decoy. A Merganser sold for $856,000 back in 2007.
    [​IMG]

12. James Conrad

Pretty bird, Yeah, that's a bunch, no doubt! These birds cross over into Folk Art at a certain level and the prices for outstanding examples certainly reflect that.

judy and cxgirl like this.
  13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

DH and I visited Maryland maybe 20 years ago, and the Ward Museum was a real highlight for us. They have an amazing collection!

judy and James Conrad like this.
  14. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

As a waterfowler, I'm offended when people call these decoys

cxgirl likes this.
  15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks for posting the article James, it was very interesting:)
    so what do you think, maybe mine is worth a bunch, lol:)
    DSCF6247.jpg

16. scoutshouse

Whoa, @cxgirl!
    Did you just whip that up?

17. James Conrad

LOL, well, it could be, is that a duck wearing a spiked collar?

18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol @scoutshouse:) Nope, I've had them (I have 8) for about 20 years, they came from the basement of a house that was being demolished.

19. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

too funny James, I didn't notice the collar. It is from a dog halloween costume, my daughter put it on the goose when her dog wouldn't wear it, probably about 10 years ago.

20. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

why terry5732?

judy and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted