Featured Canned Kittinger Chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Chair dr., Feb 13, 2020.

1. Chair dr.

Chair dr. New Member

I am hoping that someone might be able to give some information about a Kittinger chair that i recently restored. I am posting some pictures to help.
    Not sure i did this right, !st time ...thank you

Kittinger chair number.jpg Kittinger chair mark.jpg Kittinger chair before.jpg 20200204_102534.jpg Kittinger chair number.jpg Kittinger chair mark.jpg Kittinger chair before.jpg 20200204_102534.jpg Kittinger chair mark.jpg Kittinger chair before.jpg 20200204_102534.jpg Kittinger chair mark.jpg Kittinger chair before.jpg 20200204_102534.jpg Kittinger chair mark.jpg Kittinger chair before.jpg 20200204_102534.jpg Kittinger chair mark.jpg Kittinger chair before.jpg 20200204_102534.jpg
    20200204_102534.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, Chair dr. Looks like a nice improvement in the "after" pictures, but I am wondering why the "before" picture does not seem to show any holes in the wood that forms the seat opening for previous caning. What happened there?

Christmasjoy, Houseful and komokwa like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice restoration work !

4. Chair dr.

Chair dr. New Member

Thank you alot of hours sanding....There are no hole, but if you look closely you see a groove, that for press-in cane. Press cane started around the late 1890's. I know that the Kittinger Name started 1913. so my guess is this chair after that. Looking at other Kittinger chairs I haven't seen any with the twisted wood on it. or a lot of canned chairs so this makes this one unique to my eye. Thank you for the reply

5. Chair dr.

Chair dr. New Member

Thank you!

Ghopper1924, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Btw- "Caned" is spelled with only 1 n. ;)

komokwa likes this.
  7. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed .. Well Done !! .. Joy.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. Chair dr.

Chair dr. New Member

:shame:

komokwa likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

I wonder whether the end of the numbers on the chair- C 34 - is for Catalog 34? Catalog 70 was from 1950, but they probably put out at least 2 per year (perhaps not during the Depression years and the War.)

I did a search for their furniture labels and did not find any exactly like on your chair - similar but not exact.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

So much better. Very handsome!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Bakersgma

Any thoughts about age and "style" for Chair dr, Ghopper?

Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I'd say second quarter of the 20th century. The style is kind of a mish-mash of historicism that seems more conservative than most. I personally like the variety of neo-Victorian turnings and the caned "1/2 back." They were clearly trying to present themselves as a bit of a step-up. When I think of the Martha Washington-type chairs I used to own from the period then I think they succeeded.

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted