Featured Cannister queries

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bingamum, May 9, 2021.

1. Bingamum

Bingamum Active Member

I purchased this cannister (39cm/15.5 in x 24 cm/9.5 in) many years ago as it is reminiscent of Clarice Cliff colours which is a favourite of mine. It might be a part of a set or a stand-alone piece and obviously hand painted. I have researched the mark on the bottom which is Reinhold Schlegelmilch. My piece doesn’t look like anything in their repertoire. I have heard that fake pottery marks were common, but unsure if that is the case here. Any clues would be much appreciated!

IMG_0742.jpg IMG_0743.jpg IMG_0744.jpg IMG_0745.jpg IMG_0746.jpg IMG_0747.jpg IMG_0748.jpg

Bakersgma, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

This mark was used by a Chinese company that made items in all kinds of styles for which the mark made no sense. So they are in effect reproductions, and they date to the very late 20th century. Sometimes you find this mark with 'Prussia' underneath or with no country name at all.

3. crowleys

crowleys Well-Known Member

4. Bingamum

Bingamum Active Member

Thanks for the info. As I suspected, the mark never made sense to me as I knew this was certainly not fine porcelain and looked nothing like even the new RS Germany pieces. But it's a good decorator piece, has a "look" about it, and it fills a dark spot in a kitchen. It's been everything from a vase, a biscuit jar and even a junk drawer. My kids grew up with it always around and have all said they want it so not a bad buy in the end.

anundverkaufen and bercrystal like this.
  5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@Ce BCA & @crowleys

Thank you for posting this information. I have been aware for years that RS Prussia items were reproduced for years now but I was not aware that the RS Germany pieces were also. :grumpy::grumpy:

I had a go-around with someone a few years back while previewing an auction. There was a piece marked RS Prussia & they were totally convinced it was real. I was trying to be helpful & explain that regardless of the mark it was not an authentic piece. I pointed out the weight of the piece as well as the design but they never did accept my explanation. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. crowleys

crowleys Well-Known Member

My grandmom collected RS Prussia and years ago I bought her a sugar bowl marked "RS Prussia" from a Seattle dealer. Grandmom immediately "taught" me that marks can be faked and to look at the whole piece: the sugar bowl was pottery not porcelain with water slide decals. I've still got the sugar bowl somewhere in my horde to serve as a reminder!

Draft saved Draft deleted