Featured CANNOT find old PINK faded family photos! Looking for.....

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Aquitaine, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi! I THINK they are Cheryl's, @DragonflyWink 's!!! I just wanted her to see that, all I do is PLAY with Photoshop, which I did. Am ABSOLUTELY NOT professional at it!!!!!! I just enjoy the program.......took ONE of your images to see if color could be brought back in...........and not sure I could replicate what I did even!!!! But I did improve on the coloring, NOT GREAT....but better, so, if you were decide to get them restored, I'm sure the PROs could do it!!!!!! Cheryl, I hope you don't mind that I took the liberty to try.........Sue

1957 HJH + daughters Cheryl (L).jpg

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Oh, Sue, they're MINE!

WHAT did you DO??? I need to learn how to do that! I am using just the photo program that's included with Windows 10. Do I need to buy Photoshop?

Tell me, tell me, tell me!

Thanks so much!
    -C-

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

wow, what a difference! You are very talented Aquitaine :)

4. Aquitaine

HAHA!!!!! NO WONDER I couldn't find you!!!! Looking in all the wrong places!!! So, I have an older version of Photoshop (CS6) and they no longer sell StandAlone versions!!! Bummer!!!! Besides, I think I'm getting too "-on in years-" to learn the newer version which is PhotoshopCC, and only sold With LightroomCC as a subscription now for $9.99 a month or I think it's $120.00 per year!! My ORIGINAL standalone PS-3 many moons ago was closer to $600.00.....it's not a cheap program, that's for sure......but the upgrades were like $150.00...when I wanted an upgrade.....that all stopped with PS-CS6. THERE ARE other programs out there for MUCH LESS which let you do just about all of the same editing .......but there is a pretty good investment of time and learning curve to be had!!!!! I DO NOT yet know all of Photoshop's tricks and techniques.....always learning...and I've had Photoshop since about 1990!!!!!!!! In fact, I know the legs and faces on the kids are a bit "blown out"...too light......needed more work.....but wanted you know they are fixable- but I couldn't do great in short time!!! I do try to keep up with some of KelbyOne's Photoshop free Workshops online.....even if they are geared to the newer version.....they still apply to the older versions!!!! I do NOT have Windows 10 on my computer, but DH does.....will check what he has on his, but it's probably not much!! Corel Paint Shop Pro X9 is pretty good, but again, pretty good learning curve......There is also one called GIMP....and it's FREE....but have never tried it but is supposed to be very good!! Try a search for "in depth photo correction or editing software". SO SORRY for turning this into a TOME!!!! Sue

5. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

I use a free program called "Gimp" it has a lot of features that PS has. I havent played with it much but it does take some getting used to.

6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Good work!!!
    This is what I was talking about! :)
    YAY! :)

Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I doubt that a pro could do much better. The picture was taken with a flash, so there's just nothing to work with in the areas that are washed out.

Photoscape is also free and does everything you're ever likely to need.

(I also can't resist fiddling with other people's photos.)

I've just been playing with these photos myself, and can't come close to your result.

Figtree3, Christmasjoy, SBSVC and 2 others like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Thanks, all!!! Makes me smile!!!!

Christmasjoy, SBSVC and KingofThings like this.
  9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Aquitaine, thanks so much for all the information! (And MOS, thanks for giving it a shot, too!)

Okay, I have some studying-up to do! As soon as I finish the (too many) other projects I've committed to for the summer, I'm going to spend some time looking into photo editing programs & see what I have to do to make some progress with all those discolored photos! (The mere act of SCANNING them all was a major project, believe me, but making them look better would be such a thrill!)

Thanks again for the info & suggestions!

(And, Desperate, I actually had just loaded GIMP on my old desktop when I got a new laptop for Christmas. I never really tried doing much of anything with the program, and now, I haven't even turned on that old machine since January!)

10. Aquitaine

@SBSVC ....if I'm correct, the photo program included with Win 10 is pretty BASIC.....can't really do much with it.....at least not what these images would need!! There is another program you can download a FREE trial (be sure to check how long...or maybe it just won't run after so long..) for both Win & Mac...."Affinity Photo"....the whole program only costs $40.....I have it on my iPad and was playing with it last night.....there was TONS of adjustability in it, but so far could not quite replicate what I had done in Photoshop.....maybe it was late and I wasn't in a patient enough mood......just more food for thought, but PLAY with it before buying!! (PS I'm told is too big for my size iPad so Affinity was a good alternative!) Happy Hunting and you'll be a Pro before you know it, @SBSVC !!!!!!!!!

11. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Aquitaine, you're a real sweetheart! Thanks SO much for all the help & advice. I can't wait to look into the options you've suggested.

I wish I could drop everything right now & start fixing photos!

Thanks again!
    -C-

KingofThings and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

There's a Facebook page called the Golden Glow of Christmas Past. They only allow postings that are 40 years or older. Lots of us post our old family Christmas photos to share. They also collect antique ornaments so if I have any to list, I will let them know.

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

We have a relatively new computer with Windows 10. Our old desktop had PhotoShop. In fact It came on that oldddd computer. We didn't buy or subscribe to it for this new computer. Boy, do I miss it. I do have Corel Paint Shop Pro X9, but as Sue pointed out a bigggg learning curve. Not nearly as user friendly as Photoshop. We also have Gimp 2 (freebie), Graphic Workshop, IrfanView (freebie), generic Paint that comes with Windows and a few other freebies. I rarely use Gimp opting out for Corel for editing. Don't know what I'd do without IrfanView. What a simple no brainer freebie quick program for cropping and resizing. If an image needs editing of color, focusing, etc... I use Corel.

On my iPad are editing apps such as Adobe Photoshop Express, TouchUp Lite, ArtStudio, Aviary and PicShop. Have some of these on my smart phone. Most of these were freebies and those that weren't were just a few dollars. I use Adobe PS Express all the time (easier to use then Corel on the desktop) and usually TouchUp Lite to resize images. A great image search app for iPads and iPhones is the app Reversee. It works similar to the Google image search engine. It allows you to pick an image on the web **or** one on your iPad to search. I can't get Google image search engine to work well on the iPad.

--- Susan

Draft saved Draft deleted