Featured Can't Figure Out the Etch on this Jug

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Jun 2, 2016.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

This pitcher/jug is so pretty! Why don't people like amber glass so much now? I really like it. I was able to find out that the jug was made by Tiffin but I can't find the etch anywhere. I searched on the Glass Etch site for "Tiffin AND etch" also "Tiffin AND Lattice" but zilch. Does anyone know? It measures about 9 1/2" high without the lid. TY!

DSCF5799.jpg DSCF5803.jpg

2. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

3. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... yeah, neither one is a match. Hopefully one of the GLASSIES will come along and know. Hey, GLASSIEZSZSZSZS!!!!!!

judy likes this.
  4. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the shout out, G! I can understand why this isn't answered, it's really hard. I already looked all over the place.

While I have your attention, I figured you might like this piece that I picked up a couple of days ago. Since it's all arty and you're a real artist. The person who makes these has her own web site and sells them for about $300 each plus extra for the furniture. Here she is with her Go to Hell Hat sitting on her settee! She's filled with what feels like buckwheat so you can pose her. It's from the same estate that I bought that gorgeous opaline glass trinket dish I posted about.

DSCF5778.jpg

judy, pearlsnblume, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

love that lady on the couch!
    I've been looking for the etch pattern and not finding it. It made me think of Fostoria as they did patterns with lattice. I've had a quick look and not seeing it - will look later tonight if no one had found the maker.

judy likes this.
  6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

She *IS* precious! And poseable. How clever is that? You can make her lie down or whatever. It would be fun to switch poses and see who notices.

7. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Back to the original question.

The etch is No. 267, Virginia, from Fostoria. Introduced idn 1926, Illustrated on pages 148 - 150 in Fostoria, The First 50 years, by HM Weatherman.

The pitchers illustrated do not have lids, this may be a foreign lid.

judy likes this.
  8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

cherry - I saw the Virginia etch over on the Glass Etch here: http://chataboutdg.com/gallery/img148.search.htm but I didn't think it was the same etch because of all the fancy stuff in between the arches of the lattice on the pitcher. Did they edit the etch for a smaller piece, in this case a sherbet? I started wondering about the lid when I was finding different finials on Fostoria and Tiffin pitchers. It's a good match if it's been added on. Thank you so much for letting me know the maker and etch!

9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I started this thread on June 2, 2016 and only today have I found the actual maker and etch name of this pitcher. Can you believe it?? Just had to post it here for follow up. It can be found in Colored Glassware of the Depression Era HMW2 pg. 279 By Monongah Glass, Etch is VIDA. And the lid belongs with it. A person who knows a lot about glass bought it at the mall (I had finally given up and placed it there) and he placed it on a glass message board and found out about it.

dgbjwc and SBSVC like this.
  10. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Thanks for comming back.

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

always good to find stuff out so one can stop scratching that.....etch !!! :hilarious::hilarious:

12. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Glad you found the correct name and mfgr for this line. Comparing the picture above with the images in the Fostoria book, there are considerable differences, but you need a glass to see them.
    Mia Culpa

Draft saved Draft deleted