Featured Can't Figure Out this Royal Worcester mark and Another ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Mar 22, 2017.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I have this pitcher and I have 2 questions.

The piece looks like it's beat to heck. Is a piece in this condition worth anything even if it's really old? Most all of the gold is worn off. There seems to be a little split in the clay at the base of the spout. The flowers have lost a lot of paint.

But, I think it's pretty old. I haven't been able to date the mark and have looked everywhere. Anyone know its age? It measures 7 1/2" high. Right now, I'm tempted to throw it in the driveway and run my car over it, LOL! Except it might hurt my car. Thanks!

DSCF8285.jpg

DSCF8286.jpg

DSCF8287.jpg

DSCF8288.jpg

DSCF8289.jpg

komokwa, cxgirl and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id guess 1870s-80s. That being said,I personally NEVER buy anything chipped,cracked or worn. That would only double my intake !

dgbjwc and judy like this.
  3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Yep, that's what I thought too. I guess this will go to GW or the trash.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Couldn't hurt; despite the wear and tear it's a nice piece.

judy likes this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

judy and cxgirl like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

cxgirl likes this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks Lucille. It looks like I had the manufacturer wrong. No wonder I couldn't find the mark under Royal Worcester. It's just that I bought a whole box of Royal Worcester (this was in it) and it looks so much like the others. The person collected a lot of it. In the box there were only 2 pieces that weren't chipped or broken, this poor thing and one other. They looked like they were really gorgeous before time and use took its toll (like all of us).

Pat, yes, I do still sell on ebay. Generally, I try not to sell really low priced items. Too much work for not much profit and I've also noticed that if you're going to get a Neg FB, it will most always come from the low priced stuff. Maybe I'll place it in my B&M space for a low price and see what happens.

This is the scourge of antiquing, never being willing to throw anything away, just move it on or store it forever, LOL! Some days I feel so sorry for GW, having to sort through all their "stuff".

This year I vowed to clear out most of my "stuff". It's only March so there's still time . . . . My sister cleaned out her basement last Fall and at Christmas she brought me all of our mother's "stuff" so I could sell it. ARGH!

clutteredcloset49 and Lucille.b like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice of your sister to think of you ...in that way........Arghh...is right !! :hilarious::hilarious:

11. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

12. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Wenna - wow, $45, and hers isn't in any better condition than mine. I think mine's a wreck and she thinks hers is a "delicate and delightful treasure"! Snort.

See, now that's why antiquers are afraid to get rid of anything. They believe it just MIGHT be a delicate and delightful treasure to someone out there.

Lucille.b and wenna like this.
  13. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Pat, yes, I do still sell on ebay. Generally, I try not to sell really low priced items. Too much work for not much profit and I've also noticed that if you're going to get a Neg FB, it will most always come from the low priced stuff. Maybe I'll place it in my B&M space for a low price and see what happens.

Ain't that the truth! The cheaper the item the more customer fussing! I hate myself every time I list an item under $19.99 but it doesn't stop me from doing it. I can't bear to toss damaged items although I'm getting better at it. I just did a draft for a $4.99 item because of dark crazing. Should have tossed it or donated it but someone with the time could give it a peroxide bath so...
    Don

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Don't let Gila see the first one! They look to be in better condition, but that manufacturer does seem to sell... or at least people keep trying to sell it.:bag::bag::bag: (in Chuck Baris's honor)

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted