Featured Can't identify this vase or mark? Antique? Chinese or Japanese? Junk?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by alynnfin, Nov 20, 2021.

1. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

I bought this 6 1/2 inch vase and would love it to be a priceless jewel, ha! Anyway, it looks like it could be Asian writing. Reminds me a little of the pi sign. Since I bought it, my guess it isn't anything of value. Does anyone have any ideas? 97093765_E317_4423_8B62_EBECF9761FD3_1_201_a__1637438548_36775.jpg DE245B75_9E96_48AD_8D7E_CF9A6E917472_1_201_a__1637438584_62431.jpg 706E2A3E_1697_415B_80AA_89210642AF0C_1_201_a__1637438618_90022.jpg

judy, Any Jewelry, Mat and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

It could be s Chinese liquor bottle of the late 19th, early 20th c.

3. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

4. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

I have a dim recollection that this is the mark of a known potter whose items are pricey. I'm not sure this is the mark, but I think so. I remember saying it looks like the pi symbol.
    It was an estate sale friend who clued me in. I wrote it down somewhere, but can't find it. Next time I see him I'll ask and report back here. I don't see him often, and with the holidays it may be awhile, but I will eventually run into him.

judy, architrave and alynnfin like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It has the same shape and it is decorated with the double lozenge, the Chinese symbol for happiness in marriage and protection against evil. So I agree, it could be Chinese.
    Interesting site Mat, thanks.
    Shiwan and related utilitarian stoneware is often neglected in the study of Chinese ceramics. From the viewpoint of Asian maritime voyages and trade, one of my interests, these wares were essential.

judy likes this.
  6. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Google search phrase 'Chinese tiger whiskey bottle' will get you lots of comparables.

judy, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. alynnfin

Thank you all! I've been gone so just getting to see all of this valuable information. Thank you so much.

judy and komokwa like this.
  8. alynnfin

judy likes this.
  9. alynnfin

I do hope you see him. I would be very interested. Thank you so much!

judy likes this.
  10. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

The potter I was thinking of is Toshiko Takaezu, whose mark is a joined double T. Now that I've been able to look it up, I think it is not what you have, but I had just a dim recollection and thought it might be.

judy likes this.
  11. alynnfin

Thank you for trying. That was nice.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted