Can't read mark - but maybe someone recognizes it?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KEL1, Mar 11, 2020.

1. KEL1

KEL1 New Member

Hi! I'm new to Antiquers. I'm trying to find out if anyone recognizes the mark on this Irish pottery piece. Thanks so much.
    F38C5460-DEA7-4909-BB0D-845A16F557AA_1_201_a.jpeg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Irish something Ireland?

Maybe it would help if we could see what the item is? In its entirety.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bet it's a wee cottage. That's a blue leprechaun.

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

5. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Who knew? But I still don't know what it is?
    Hmmmm? OBB, are you sure that is a blue leprechaun? Are you not convinced that it is a faded version of a crown and the letters MZ within a rhombus shape?? :confused:

Now, I cannot comment on the wee cottage part because we have not received a response yet.

judy likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

AHA! I tihnk you're right.

judy likes this.
  7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Did everyone not see the link SIS posted?

Fid likes this.
  8. say_it_slowly

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Sure looks like Moritz Zdekauer to me - so Austrian Irish Dresden?.

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Anton Muller was working in the porcelain industry in Volkstedt in the late 19th century. He became highly regarded and in 1907 with Otto Hammer established in Volkstedt Porzellanmanufaktur Anton Müller. Anton Müller died in 1937. He was succeeded by his son Herman in the family business. Herman died during World War II and the factory was in 1945 demolished by allied bombing.

The factory wasn't rebuild after The WWII. Muller's descendents, Johanna Saar, Herman's niece, and her husband, Oskar, relocated to Ireland and started in 1962 the business under the name Irish Dresden. Irish Dresden continues the family tradition to this day.

11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

indeed. after the war there were many Germans, Ukranians etc. emigrating to Ireland because Ireland was "neutral" and anti-English.
    Irish with a bit a more reasonable view of history named these immigrants "béal bocht" after the Irish expression "playing the poor mouth" (an béal bocht a chur ort).

12. say_it_slowly

13. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

@daveydempsey !!! Told you so!

14. KEL1

KEL1 New Member

Wow. This site (and all of you) are amazing. I go offline for 24 hours after posting, and return to all these responses and an answer to my question. Incredible. Thank you! (and yes, it's a wee cottage - looks just like one of the ones say_it_slowly posted a picture of).

Draft saved Draft deleted