Cantagalli vase revisited, Walter?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by say_it_slowly, Jun 25, 2017.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I posted this vase years ago during a discussion on the old ebay forums. Walter responded about a couple items shown and I believe confirmed this as Cantagalli. It was a bit of a confusing thread so I thought in light of the recent bowl posted here, perhaps this was a good time to revisit this vase.

It's quatrefoil in shape with twist handles, 4" high and in chippy shape. I feel that it's probably Italian but Cantagalli? The photos aren't the best and the color is a bit off.

@Walter Del Pellegrino
    5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 1.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

Most probably Cantagalli. Perhaps even pre-1890. Certainly the decorative theme, known as Chiniosiere (Chinese inspired) was popular with Cantagalli artists of the period. The element that most swayed me was the kind of clay used as seen exposed by the chips. This piece was made with terracotta and few know that early Cantagalli pieces were produced from the terra-cotta clay from
    Mintespertoli, fourteen miles Cantagalli’s home. The clay is gritty, difficult to work with but inexpensive. It is not a detail that concerns forgers or those reproducing Cantagalli works. Most copies are made with a very smooth liquified white clay called “slip”. The slip is poured into molds. This differ greatly from the traditional methods utilized by Ugo.

3. say_it_slowly

Thank you Walter for your wonderful response!

This piece was quite dirty so I gave it a little cleaning and took a better look at the body of the clay. My photos are not the best and I'd have to say that the clay is more buff than reddish in color.

Pat P and judy like this.
  4. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

Terracotta clay varies in color by region. The terra-cotta from this area is buff colored. Cantagalli also used clays from other locations.

Pat P, gregsglass, judy and 1 other person like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

You are amazing, thank you again!

6. Penny armell

Penny armell New Member

May i ask how much is this worth ? I have one of these in my home ..

7. say_it_slowly

Hi Penny and welcome!

People here usually hesitate to put a value on items. Not because they don't want to, it's just that there are so many variables. It depends on what venues you have to sell (yard sale, Ebay, auction house, antique store etc) and partly on where you're located. There are people on the board from all over the world and you can imagine that prices might vary a great deal, say from the US mid-west to Australia. Of course there are also decorating trends that send prices up (or sadly down).

Anyway, I purchased my little vase on Ebay well over 10 years ago and don't remember what I paid but I know is was under $100. If it helps, here is an auction listing for a Cantagalli vase of similar shape but different pattern that sold in 2016 for $50 at an auction house in California. And another of similar pattern but different shape currently on Ebay asking GBP 99.99.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/46512062_italian-cantagalli-faience-vase

[​IMG]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-IT...=item3af7866c85:g:E6EAAOSw9mpaDIEr:rk:15:pf:0

[​IMG]

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted