Canton Chinese Export Circa 1800 Partial Dinner Set Help to ID Family Crest

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by RLM Stamps, Mar 6, 2021.

1. RLM Stamps

RLM Stamps Member

The story I was told about this Canton China Chinese Export Porcelain Partial Dinner Service set is that it was purchased on Cape Cod as the ships were being unloaded with exports many years ago. The set was dated by Sotheby's as being Circa 1800. I was hoping someone could help to identify the family crest? I read that there is a book that helps to identify these crests. I can not remember the name of it. I doubt that my library will have it. Any help is appreciated.

2 - Teapot detail-scfopt.jpg 35 - Canton China Tea Set- service for 4 (2)-scfopt.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Nice set! Something along the lines of mine, although I only have coffee cans and saucer-dishes, no tea bowls. The crests on mine were just monograms and had no enamel, just gilt so they either wore off of a PO might have removed them.

[​IMG]

judy and i need help like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I have Fairbairn's book Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland. I don't know that it's the best but it's the only one I have. In Elinor Gordon's book, Chinese Export Porcelain, she recommends a few books though I've never seen them and don't know if they are helpful. I'll include a shot of what she says.

Chinese Export isn't something I know a great deal about and own a limited number. I'm not entirely sure that an armorial looking detail is necessarily an actual family as I find it sometimes referred to as "pseudo" armorial. Yours makes me wonder a bit as the floral looks rather like some used just as decoration. Anyway, I can't offer much help but here's a bit.

1. Below, "sample" plates that show options when ordering your preferred porcelain, from the Victoria and Albert Museum.

2. From Winterthur Museum, a platter that has the armorials on each end with a floral decoration in the center that looks a good deal like your floral.

3. A few examples of the types of plates from Fairbairn's Crests book. I didn't see any that matched your floral exactly but I'm showing a few florals along with how many different names can be associated with each of them.

4. I added a piece I own with floral decoration on . You'll note the similar floral to yours. I don't know that it means yours isn't a true family crest, just makes me wonder.

5. Gordon's book recommendations.

1. Victoria and Albert, sample plates for ordering

https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O180998/plate-unknown/
    [​IMG]

https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O437100/plate-unknown/
    [​IMG]

2. Winterthur Museum, platter with armorials on either end floral decor in center

http://museumcollection.winterthur....n=100&src=results-imagelink-only#.YETk_GhKhKA
    upload_2021-3-7_9-40-13.png

upload_2021-3-7_9-40-57.png

3. Fairbairn's Crest examples

IMG_20210307_094518.jpg IMG_20210307_094609.jpg

IMG_20210307_094712.jpg img20210307_095746.jpg

4. My coffee can with similar floral

img20210307_100028.jpg

5. Gordon's book recommendations

IMG_20210307_100252.jpg
    img20210307_100745.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    judy and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Those "sample plates" are really quite fascinating!

Tanya, judy and say_it_slowly like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

I think the pattern options plates are great too and amazing that they have survived!

Bakersgma likes this.
  6. RLM Stamps

RLM Stamps Member

Thank you say_it_slowly for that very informative information. It does now look to me as though a floral design was added to a similar design as is in your "1. Victoria and Albert" example. It was back in 2013 that I sent a group of images of this set to Sotheby's to date and get an auction estimate. They did date it to Circa 1800 but said that they would not be able to offer it because it did not meet their minimum of $5,000. They gave me an estimate of between $2,000-$3,000. Oh well. It has always been on my bucket list to have something worthy of a high end auction like Sotheby's. I guess I better keep looking!

say_it_slowly likes this.
  7. say_it_slowly

Hopefully someone will know more that might help. I don't know the answer, I was just thinking out loud (so to speak).

Here are a couple more of mine that used a similar device.
    img20210308_004030.jpg img20210308_004054.jpg

8. RLM Stamps

RLM Stamps Member

say_it_slowly, I meant to also say I liked all of your images you shared. I like your coffee can very much. Can you tell me, is your avatar Belleek? I have a Belleek piece that has similar feet. After uploading the images I see now they are not so similar.

19 - Belleek  Bowl - Made in Ireland-scfopt.jpg 19a - Bottom View-scfopt.jpg

9. say_it_slowly

img20210308_101850.jpg Actually my avatar is a little Staffordshire white stoneware jug with applied dyed sprigs and traces of gilt from the mid 18th C. It's a sassy little thing just over 3" high.

Like so many of my things it has some damage but I do love it:).

Bakersgma likes this.
  10. RLM Stamps

RLM Stamps Member

Very nice! Thank you for showing a closeup. I guess the only thing it has in common with mine is it's three feet. :shy:

11. say_it_slowly

Belleek is nice, feels lovely in the hand. Second black mark?

I dragged a Belleek kettle home from a thrift. It is missing the shell on the top and a big chunk from the spout but I can't bring myself to toss it out.

(It has three feet too:))
    img20210308_122518.jpg img20210308_122542.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted